Post Reply FAQ Members Login

question of the ...uh, day re: blood draws

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : question of the ...uh, day re: blood draws

Postby laura » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:15 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:15 am

oh don't 'cha just hate the butterfly in the hand?!

Laura- I know waiting for the doc was hard, but at least the nurse didn't poke you 12 times and blow your good ones, that's good, isn't it?[B)]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby sweetiesuzy » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:15 am

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:15 am

I can only get a blood draw from one spot. I have been stuck quite a bit, but no real horror story. I think the worst stick I got was to check my mag level. This woman came in the middle of the night and stuck my in a most uncomfortable place on my left outer arm. I had a HUGE bruise for a long time after that. I never quite understood what she was doing... but I think the only thing she said was "hi."
YUCK

Sorry about all the awful things that have happened to you all.

Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby ileana » Sat Jan 03, 2004 01:28 pm

by ileana (1010 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 01:28 pm

Yuck! [:(] And they can do the mag with a drop from your finger...

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby jjbeck1 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:20 am

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:20 am

Ah blood draws. I don't mind blood draws so much. I always had pretty good veins...not as good with this pg though. When I was in the hospital a couple of months ago, they tried to put in an iv. They did the laitacain first. ooouuuch. Then they attempted to put the cath but missed the vein, she didnt realize it first and left the cath dangling, god that hurt. After that I refused the IV. This is why.
With my last pg, I had VERY severe HG. I was being stuck all of the time, and getting IV caths put in quite a bit. They always had such a rough time, often needing severeal people to get the job done. Then finally had to get a PICC line. I was promised it would be quick and nearly painless and would save lot of trouble.
Well it took almost two hours. Two docs and several nurses. I dont know how many sticks but my entire upper arm was blk and blue.
From that point on I dread IV caths. Blood draws I can handle, but when it comes to IV, I panic. I don't know how I will get through an epidural.
jjbeck1

Postby robyn » Tue Jan 06, 2004 09:15 am

by robyn (9 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 09:15 am

Well, this isn't exactly a blood draw story, but does relate to the horrors of swelling and lame attempts to do medical procedures.

Once my dr decided it was time to deliver, he sent me to the hospital to get prepped. The stupid nurse thought it would be nice to get the catheter in BEFORE they did the spinal. I argued with her, but apparently, this is what the anesthesiologist prefers. Keep in mind that I was swollen EVERYWHERE. Needless to say, she had a difficult time inserting the catheter and after 5 or 6 attempts decided that my idea was better. I never quite understood why they would put me through so much pain when I was supposed to be "relaxing" to keep from stroking out!

The spinal was also a nightmare. My back was so swollen that the anesthesiologist couldn't feel my vertebrae. He kept asking me to point them out! I know he was doing his best during a difficult situation, but he kept sticking me and sending this awful zinging pain down my legs. I was so scared I was going to end up with some kind of permanent damage!

Robyn, mom to 27-weeker Oliver and FT Max
robyn

Postby catherine » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:48 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:48 am

Oh boy Robyn, you have my sympathy. They did that to me this summer when Chloe was born and to say that my eyes bugged out of my head was somewhat of an understatement!!! They put the darn thing in and took it out a bunch of times with Lucy and I didn't remember it hurting so I wasn't too concerned when they were doing that before the spinal. My mistake!!

I guess the thing with a spinal is that it is a one shot deal, about 30 minutes of anesthesia before it wears off. Can't afford to waste a minute of that.....

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby amyk » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:44 am

by amyk (198 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:44 am

I had a spinal the first time around and an epi the second. It was totally worth it just to get an ounce of sympathy from my husband.
After all I went through, that is what he still talks about!

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN
amyk

Postby angelical » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:50 am

by angelical (330 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:50 am

Well, by the time my hospital stay was over, my sister commented (she's a cop) "Be careful driving. If you get pulled over, the cop might think you are a druggie!" (Thanks a lot, sis. [:o)])

I was black and blue from my hands to my shoulders.

My veins are awful: small, thin, and they collapse and move. And with the severe swelling, it was almost impossible. For every draw, I had 2 nurses on each side of me searching for new places that weren't blown.

ugh.... it was awful.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced