Seeing new doctor, need advice

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Seeing new doctor, need advice

Postby megansmom » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:40 am

Well I am seeing my new ob/gyn on Monday. I am scared because of my experience with my last ob/gyn. (Long story, let's just say they treated me very poorly.) I have not had my yearly physical done since my daughter was born two years ago, because of my experience. I am not scared of procedures, just the care I will receive. Any advice? Any questions I should ask? I would like to find a doctor and stick with them through my next pregnancy, whenever that is. I developed pe at 35 weeks last time, and then it took 10 weeks for my bp to go back to normal. So I just need advice on what I should ask/find out. Thank you for your help. ~Amanda

Amanda, SAHM to Megan born at 34 weeks due to pe
megansmom

Re : Seeing new doctor, need advice

Postby julie f » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:50 am

Amanda,

Good luck with your new OB, I'm sorry that you had such a poor experience with your last one. Preeclampsia is so horrible, I can't imagine going through it with a bad doctor.

The only thing I could suggest is to be really honest with your new dr. about your concerns and, to have your medical record sent to him/her so that they're aware of your histpry with pe.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby maxs mom » Fri Jan 02, 2004 03:10 pm

Amanda,
I completly know how you feel, my last OB/Gyn mismanaged my last pregnancy, and I feel was partly responsible for the fact that my son was born at 25 weeks. It frustrates me that so many OB/Gyn's treat their patients with limited knowledge of how to treat a pregnancy if something goes wrong. Or if they have the knowledge, they tend to dismiss a clue of something going wrong in a pregnancy and say it is normal.

I agree with Julie. Ask lots of questions and keep an open dialog. Also, see if they will refer you to a perinatologist (sp?) Let them know you would feel better consulting with one before the next pregnancy. Also, definitely get your old medical records. Something might be in there to shed light on catching PE quicker if it shows up again. A sign for me would be the fetus growing slow. That happened in my last pregnancy, and could have been a flag. I have also heard high HCG levels from other women on this board, as well as, a slighly abnormal AFP.

Also, ask lots of friends if they know of an OB/Gyn they or other friends trust, in case you need to find a different one. Also, when meeting with the new OB/Gyn ask him/her if they have had experience with PE and how they treated it.

Good Luck!

Kara
Max, 25 wk, IUGR, 1/20/03, severe PE
maxs mom

Postby paljane8 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 07:44 pm

Hey Amanda, are you seeing a perinatologist or a maternal/fetal medicine spec.? Does your OB refer you out? This list was put together by our fearless leader, Anne. This is a basic list of care you should receive from your OB.
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=756&SearchTerms=list,to,take,to,doctor,office

If you are interested in a peri. that specializes in PIH/PE/HELLP check these out http://www.nasshp.org and http://www.smfm.org

How far along are you?

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Return to Ask the Experienced