Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Grandparents

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Grandparents

Postby jkaay » Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:00 pm

by jkaay (177 Posts), Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:00 pm

I've been reading from this website for the last month, as my daughter (age 26) has been so ill with preeclampsia, and I wanted to know more. After a long 3 weeks, right now she's still in the hospital...with a gorgeous 36 week baby boy (6 lbs!) born 2 days ago. Her blood pressure is still quite high and of course her emotions are wacky. I haven't seen much on this forum to or from grandparents - what's helpful?, what's not? Any advice from others?

Jan
jkaay

Re : Grandparents

Postby mada » Sat Jan 03, 2004 07:14 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 07:14 am

Hi Jan and congrats on your new grandson[:)]. I am glad everything turned out well. Her BP will work itself out, it just takes a while and some women do end up needing bp medication for a while. When I had my son, also at 36 weeks, my mom flew out (as she is in Chicago and I am in Colorado) and helped me bigtime!! I found the best things were her cleaning around the house so I came home to a nice clean home feeling peaceful. I could relax more and spend time with my new baby as she was doing laundry and helping cook. It was wonderful. It is so overwhelming having a new baby especially under under these circumstances and it was nice to have someone around to help with all the "chores" so I oculd rest and spend time with my son. Hope this helps you a bit!! Again, congrats!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby catherine » Sat Jan 03, 2004 08:32 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 08:32 am

Congratulations Jan, I'm so glad that your daughter's baby is doing well. It does take a bit of time to get recover and I think the best help that I got from my mom was laundry (bless her, she compulsively washes dirty clothes) and she would take my baby for walks in the neighborhood which really helped when I needed a nap. I couldn't relax enough to sleep if I was listening for the baby, an empty house was what I needed. I was nursing though, so mom didn't stray so far that she couldn't push that stroller home once the fussing started. There was joint benefit (in every sense of the word) as she was recovering from a knee replacement and needed gentle strolls with the stroller for support!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby paljane8 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:01 am

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:01 am

Congrats on that Grandson! I hope your daughter comes home soon. Sometimes docs medicate if bp doesn't go down. But, hopefully your daughter will recover quickly and her bp issues will be a thing of the past. PE really changes everyone close by doesn't it. Hang in there. I'm sending my best vibes to you all.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby tahoe4 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 07:10 am

by tahoe4 (251 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 07:10 am

What was very helpful to my husband and I was when people brought food to us. That's the last thing I could do (as I was on bedrest after delivery) and that's the last thing my husband wanted to do. We went a whole month without having to cook and it was so helpful!
tahoe4

Postby amyk » Mon Jan 05, 2004 01:10 pm

by amyk (198 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 01:10 pm

Hi and congratulations!

I just have to say that I agree with Marcy. The whole pe experience will make the most stable of us seem exceptionally emotional, even beyond what many new mothers may experience. I think you'll find that while we are very grateful when we do have a safe delivery and a healthy baby, many of us experience that feeling of being 'robbed' of an idyllic pregnancy and delivery (as mentioned above), and also a great deal of confusion, especially if this is the woman's first encounter with pe. I know I wasn't 'over' it until 2 years after my daughter's birth. What I would have appreciated far more than cooking and cleaning was (again, I'm echoing Marcy) the acknowledgement that this was beyong the regular trials and tribulations of a 'normal' pg and delivery. Instead I got the attitude of "Well, the baby's here,it's all in the past now."
I would also agree that your daughter should check out this site if she is so inclined - it's a wonderful, wonderful place!

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN
amyk

Postby jkaay » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:22 pm

by jkaay (177 Posts), Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:22 pm

Thanks for your responses. Our little grandson is doing well! His one week check-up gained him a two-thumbs up! He has terrific parents :-) This story is one that was scary and turned out successful! I am so grateful for the medical expertise in America. We are so LUCKY!

I wish that all young mothers could experience extended love and practical support from their families during and after delivery!

PS...he's is so very cute...[:0]
jkaay

Postby mada » Mon Jan 12, 2004 06:59 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Mon Jan 12, 2004 06:59 am

Congrats on your new grandson[:D]!!! So glad that he is doing well. As my mom says when A child is born, so is a grandmother. Enjoy!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Return to Ask the Experienced