Post Reply FAQ Members Login

BP Fluctuations

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

BP Fluctuations

Postby gillme » Sun Jan 04, 2004 09:52 am

by gillme (6 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 09:52 am

Hi,
I hade PE with my first child, who was induced two weeks early. I am now pregnant with my second - 27 weeks - and my BP is fluctuating. I do not have any protein my urine and some very mild swelling (very mild compared to my first) and my blood pressure has measured high (138/105,154/82,163/86 - normally 120/67). But my biggeset conern seems to be how much it can fluctuate from one minute to the next. I am just wondering if I read high because I'm stressed and then goes down within five minutes because I've managed to calm down, or are the fluctuations a sign of PE coming back. For example with my highest reading they sent me to the hospital for a check-up and within 1/2 hour it had gone back down to my normal level, or when I'm in the doctor's office it will read elevated and when checked 5-10 min later it has started to go down, or if I have a cold it seems to measure high.
Any thoughts

Many thanks

Melissa
Cameron 21/july/2001
2nd due March 26 2004
gillme

Re : BP Fluctuations

Postby laura » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:49 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:49 am

Hi Melissa, and welcome! The fluctuating BP's you describe are consistent with what the docs like to call labile blood pressures.

Pregnant and nonpregnant people go through a stage of labile pressures in early hypertension. (I nicked that statement from one of the Expert's posts[:)] URL available upon request) During the second trimester, the BP tends to drop below your baseline, and will rise again during the third trimester. You're at the period where you'd expect your BP to rise back to your baseline.

The whole fluctuating thing could mean a few different things: you could be developing PIH/gestational/transient hypertension, you could end up finding out you have chronic hypertension (as I did [;)]) you could end up with PE again, or it could stay labile, and never develop into frank hypertension. I hope it stays that way! And there's really no way to tell what's going to happen. Some people go from labile to high very quickly, some never do develop anything hugely out of the ordinary.

Hang in there- the only thing to do at this point, is wait and watch. Alert your provider to any new or worsening symptoms. You've done this before, you probably know what to watch for! Check out the main preeclampsia.org page for symptoms to be alert to.

Another thing that may be helpful in watching is getting home BP cuff to take your pressures yourself. Log them daily, and watch the trend. If you find that you're increasing, make sure to bring your log to your doc to show them the trend yourself.

Check out this post our executive director wrote recently:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594

she discusses how stress, anxiety, etc don't cause hypertension. It's really reassuring to me, because it reiterates that nothing we DO causes this.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!! And please, let us know how you're doing.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby amandab » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:17 am

by amandab (166 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:17 am

As always Laura, you have posted valuable info!! Also thanks for the link to Anne's earlier post!

I've been fighting with labile BP for 4 weeks now, and it is so reassuring to see this info in writing. I know my doctor tries to explain all this to me, but it is so nice to have the reminder.

Melissa ~ Best wishes to you for a healthy pregnancy! And do keep us updated!

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:59 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:59 am

Laura's right, as usual! [:D]

My own experience with labile bp goes like this: I was diagnosed with PIH at 28/29 weeks pg (with labile bp that would range anywhere from 120/65 to 150/100 and go back and forth). It caused a condition called Oligohydramnios (low amniotic fluid) that is quite rare, though. And, my BP seemed to gradually lose the range. So a few weeks later, my BP's would range from say, 130/80-150/100, and so on till I eventually was getting 140/90's laying down and nasty bp's upright. I was able to make it to 37 weeks and have a healthy daughter! So, I guess mine is one of the good experiences! Hate the bedrest though! ugh lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Return to Ask the Experienced