Post Reply FAQ Members Login

weight gain

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

weight gain

Postby jjbeck1 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:10 am

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:10 am

Hi all. I have posted before about wt gain with this pg. I am normally 135 pre pg. I am now 21 weeks and 205. For the part of oct and part of nov I was on steroids for HG. I was gaining about 10 pounds a week with steroids. I have been off of the steroids for quite a while now and am still gaining fast, about five pounds a week. I feel so swollen and am having trouble getting around. I have never had trouble with my wt before this pg. As well as the wt gain, I have had other problems with this pg. I have mentioned most of them before but will go over them again.
I started out with severe HG and began zofran and which did not help much and was still losing a great deal of wt fast and spilling ketones. Because my last HG pg was so severe where I had to go home with a PICC line and was constatntly in and oput of the hospital, this time around I decided to try steroids before I resorted to the PICC or a feeding tube. Well, the steroids worked great for the HG but caused rapid wt gain.
Before the steroids, my bp starting rising. It now gets as high as 160/120. But does not stay up, usually fluctuates. The hypertension is new to me too, though they are calling it chronic hpt.
A few months ago I began having upper rt quad pain. Gall bladder checked out fine. I did end up having elevated ALT and AST but they said it was probably from the HG. I hd to do weekly blood draws until the levels dropped. I still have the pain, it is worse than ever.
Then there was the triple marker. My HCG was 2 and a 1/2 times the norm, my estiril was high and AFP very low. We had to see a genetic counsilor and talk about the possibility of downs syndrome.
I check my urine weekly with multistix. I have trace protein, but the past couple of days have also had slighlty elevated bilirubin.
I see my peri on thursday.
Here are some questions.
would my bilirubin be up from taking tylenol? I was told I could take this for the side pain.
I am very uncomfortable with this wt gain. I know it is not a normal amount for only being in the 1st half of my pg, but also know that it is too early for pre e. My doc told me that the wt gain should have stopped when I stopped the steroids. I am eating a great deal less then when I was on the steroids as well. But I still gain fast, I feel so swollen, especially in my legs and belly. I also feel like the baby is not progressing upwards. She kicks all of the time but usually at my bikini line. Is it possible the wt gain is from high BP?
Does high HCG and estiril cause wt gain like high cortisol?
Is this wt gain harmful to the baby?

Thanks everyone

Jen

jjbeck1

Re : weight gain

Postby laura » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:57 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:57 am

Hi Jen, How scary! I wish I knew more about the concerns you're having. It's definitely good that you have a peri appointment soon, because these are definitely peri questions![:)] And after your appointment, come back and tell us what he or she said-

I'd definitely mention the weight gain, how high your pressures are reaching- that's not so good. Maybe antihypertensive meds would help mobilize some of that fluid out, and help with the weight gain and swelling? Hmm, good luck, and let us know how it goes, ok?

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jjbeck1 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 01:16 pm

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 01:16 pm

How can one tell if wt gain is from retention or edema?
jjbeck1

Postby kim » Sun Jan 04, 2004 06:50 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 06:50 pm

Hey Jen,

A few things.... I don't want to scare you, but 21 weeks is NOT too early for pre-e. We have a couple of women at 22 weeks right now with pre-e or pih. Also, I would see if you could get your peri appt moved up to ASAP. 160/120 is dangerously high and is unacceptable. At the least, you need to be on some medication (I'm not a doc, though). Even if your pressures do not stay that high, spikes can and will damage the blood vessels to the placenta. You should also request an ultrasound to look at the placenta at your appt.

As far as being able to tell if your gain is edema... Most people have pitting edema (you stick your finger on your swollen part and an indention stays)... However, I hid my edema very well, and no one realized I had so much fluid until I was given diurectics a few hours postpartum. I had at least 30-50 pounds of fluid.

I hope all goes well. Take care

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby maxs mom » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:21 pm

by maxs mom (594 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:21 pm

Hi Jen,
I definitely agree with Kim. You need to call your Peri Monday and tell them you need to come in sooner. Your BP is too high, and unfortunatly you can get Pre-e this early. When I was first diagnosed, the only sign I had was the rapid weight gain. Because you have the elevated BP too, I would ask your Peri if he thinks it a good idea to do a 24 hr urine test, just to be on the safe side.

I hope everything goes well. Keep us up to date!

Kara (33)
DH, John (35)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Postby laura » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:39 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:39 pm

Hi Jen- I did misread your post, and thought your appointment was Tuesday, not Thursday! I do think you should call to get in sooner.

I'm going to email you at the address you provided with your registration....[:)]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
laura

Postby jjbeck1 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 09:28 am

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 09:28 am

HI guys. My peri is well aware of my bp. All of my visits there, they have my bps are usually 150/105. I have told them how high they have been. They are reluctant to begin meds, explaining the neg effects of going on bp meds. I am hoping by thursday things will be different. As far as US, I have already had five and will continue to have them every 3 weeks. They said it was because of my BP they will do frequent US, does this sound right? I have done two 24 hour urines already. They will probably do another this week.
I do not seem to have pitted edema, my legs and feet just turn purple and leave the white mark when you touch them.

At what point would they diagnose pre e in this case? By BP became elevated early in PG around 8 wks. They called this chronic. I started having mild edema around 12 weeks, they said this was from steroids but I have been off of them for well over a month now and the peri said side effects from steroids would go away immediatly. I know some woman have been diagnosed having these symptoms alone. Between all of the meds I have been taking, the high BP, the rapid wt gain, the abnormal blood work, I am becoming scared to death something is going to go wrong. The wt gain itself feels very wrong. I just dont feel right at all. If I express my nervousness at the peris, they sort of pat me on the head and tell me everything will be fine. I do not think it is because they are not taking things seriously, but think they are doing me a favor and do not want me to worry too much, they know I have anxiety attacks.
things have to go well this time around. I cannot bare to lose a third baby. And I cannot go through PG again.
jjbeck1

Postby kim » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:56 am

by kim (555 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:56 am

Jen,

I think you should sit down with your peri (NOT the nurse) and tell him/her your concerns. This is YOUR baby and YOUR health. That bp is dangerous, no matter what they call it, no matter what explanation that they give you. I was induced at 150/100, because my doc was afraid I would have a stroke. Are there any other peri's in your town? How many hospitals are there? I know that you are so sick and tired, and it's hard to be your own advocate when you are feeling bad, but this disease is nothing to be taken lightly.

Unfortunately, this month, we have lost FOUR MOMS to preeclampsia and three of their babies. Please, PLEASE try to get some answers and tell them not to "protect" you from anxiety. I suffer from severe panic attacks, but I'd rather be in the know about the health of my baby and myself and suffer the panic attack.

Big Hugs,

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby jjbeck1 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:40 am

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:40 am

Thanks Kim, I will try and get more answers this week.

When you say lost four woman this month, do you mean woman on this board? dont think there are any other Peris in my STATE. As it is I drive an hour. These guys are supposed to be the best in the state.
jjbeck1

Postby laura » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:34 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:34 am

Hi Jen, here's the link to what some of the members of the medical board think about when antihypertensive meds should be initiated:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1081

The four women Kim's referring to weren't on this board necessarily, stories from across the US.

hope this helps!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
laura

Return to Ask the Experienced