New here - intro and ?'s

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

New here - intro and ?'s

Postby sonja » Mon Jan 05, 2004 02:15 pm

Hi everyone. My name is Joy and I am currently pregnant with baby number 2. My first dd was born on 3-16-02 at 37 1/2 weeks. I showed up for my appointment that day, my bp was up, they sent me to the hospital, I was induced and she was born. I had all of the classic symptoms, sparkles that morning, 5 lb weight gain that week and high bp. It all worked out fine, but ever since I have been obsessed with PIH info, which led me here to you experts. I am now 17 1/2 weeks pregnant with baby #2. My bp was up a bit during my OB visit last week 130/70 (which is not too high for me). I had the battery of blood work done after dd was born and it all came back normal, my OB at the time thought that I should take asprin this pregnancy, but after some research and finding out that my blood clotting was fine I decided that I did not want to do that, my current OB agrees. My OB was not too concerned about my slight rise in BP last week - she said that PIH is very rare at this point, but if it is at the same level next month she will send me to the University of Washington to have my heart checked out. Has anyone done this, I am just curious as to what to expect. Other than my heart pounding hard, which it always seems to do after too many sweets (darn holiday) I have done good, only 3 lb weight gain. I would love some suggestions from you all. Thanks for reading this and I expect to be on more now that I am pregnant again.

Joy
Kira 3-16-02
# 2 EDD 6-15-04
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : New here - intro and ?'s

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 05, 2004 02:39 pm

Joy,

Your story sounds very similar to mine! Other than my PIH showed up around 28/29 weeks and caused some Oligo. I delivered my daughter at 37 weeks and never developed PE. I am now pregnant with #2 due 8/11 and have also been obsessed with PIH since my diagnosis last pg. Weird, but true. I feel like I will get it again, but the odds are against it, so who knows? Maybe I'm just crazy and obsessed like we said. I do know that chances of recurrance are anywhere from 20-60%. The more severe or earlier the onset, the higher the stats. While it is rare to get PE at 17 weeks, it is by no means unheard of to start experiencing some warning signs. You are at a point in your pregnancy (2nd trimester) where your blood pressure should drop, if anything, not increase (Chesley's Hypertensive Disorders...I can give you the reference if you like). I would just make sure they keep a close eye on things. It may have been a random BP increase, or may be a warning sign telling you to pay close attention. Please keep us up to date on how you are doing! Welcome to the forums!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby sonja » Mon Jan 05, 2004 03:02 pm

Thanks for your response - what is oligo??? I have seen it mentioned a few times today, but have not heard of it before. Congrats on your pregnancy - you must have just found out!!
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 05, 2004 03:12 pm

Thanks Joy, I found out a few weeks ago (somewhere around 4-5 wks pg). Oligo is short for oligohydramnios meaning low amniotic fluid. It's a rare condition and in my case (and I'd imagine Laura's too) it was caused by the high bp. There is a link from a couple days ago where Autiiq98 (laura) went into fair detail about it's affects...can't remember the topic name though and too lazy to look it up right now [;)] sorry! lol

So how high was your BP with your last pregnancy when they decided to induce? Just out of curiosity.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby sonja » Mon Jan 05, 2004 03:24 pm

If I remember correctly it was 140 or 150/90. Not earth shattering, but it sure kicked my OB into gear. All of the tests that were taken at the hospital were in the okay range, but she and the OB on call just said that I "looked like I had it" so they induced - I could have just been monitored for the night, but I chose induction.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby taras mom » Mon Jan 05, 2004 03:48 pm

Congratulations and welcome! You're in the right place.

If by "have my heart checked out" at the UW you mean cardiac output monitoring, it's a piece of cake.[8D] You lie back on the table, they put a bp cuff on your arm, and they press an ultrasound wand against your chest and throat. You don't have to undress, but it's best to wear a button-front shirt. The cuff automatically takes your pressure a few times while the technician takes cardiac output readings with the wand. It takes about 10 minutes, the techs are great, and the only drawback is faint red marks on your throat where they press the wand. (The machine makes a freight-train noise, but I actually find it relaxing.[:)])

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby julie f » Mon Jan 05, 2004 04:11 pm

Joy,

Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm so happy that you had a safe delivery with your 1st and pray for the 2nd to be the same!!

I'm sorry to jump on your post but, I have a question about the cardiac monitoring. I never had any cardiac output monitoring but, am now very curious about it as my bp started to creep in the 2nd trimester of my pregnancy. Pre-pregnancy I was 100/60 and at 18wks it went to 130/70. (My dr wasn't concerned but, in hindsight it makes me wonder) I'm assuming they're checking for a high-cardiac output, if they find this, does anyone know what they can do about it? Thanks!!

Julie (26)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe
julie f

Postby taras mom » Mon Jan 05, 2004 04:31 pm

This is how I understand it, Julie (Tiki goddesses, correct me if I'm wrong): Cardiac output monitoring in combination with bp measurement enables the doctor to determine how much of your high bp is caused by high cardiac output and how much is caused by narrow blood vessels. This helps him or her choose the right combination of meds to lower your cardiac output, dilate your blood vessels, or both.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby laura » Mon Jan 05, 2004 05:09 pm

UW? I'd manufacture a disease to go see those guys- they're wonderful. Carol- I didn't know you were a UW hypertension clinic alum [:)] Here's an article about the theory they use with the cardiac output:
http://www.personalmd.com/news/n0516075720.shtml

I don't think there are many places they do this, tho.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 05, 2004 05:27 pm

With dd we seriously considered simply sending me south so I wouldn't have to fly out in an emergency situation...lol Like spend 3 months down there while pg! lol We didn't obviously, but if things go wrong this time, we may take a closer look. [;)] lol I would LOVE to be treated at UW.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
akemt

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced