Post Reply FAQ Members Login

protein in urine

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

protein in urine

Postby mbaschnagel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:33 am

by mbaschnagel (2 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:33 am

The last several Dr appts I have had protein in my urine. First they sent a urine sample to the lab to check for a bladder infection. That came back ok. The next appt I still had protein in my urine but was told this time that it was a "trace" amount of protein. I was told that a pregnant woman could dump protein in her urine more rapidly than normal, and that is what is happening to me. My #1 question is if indeed it was "trace" protein is that explaination reasonable? Could I ask them to tell me just how much protein it is? and if I have not had any other symptoms should I be concerned or simply pay close attention to other possible symptoms? By the way I have had a lot of headaches, but not severe, and it has been since the begining of the pregnancy. Also when I say a lot it may not be a lot to some people, but more than I have ever had during pregnancy. I would say not every day, but several times a week. Last question...if they ran tests for pre-eclampsia are the results conclusive? Can they rule it out if the right tests are run?
mbaschnagel

Re : protein in urine

Postby ileana » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:20 am

by ileana (1010 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:20 am

Hi there,

Congrats on your pregnancy and sorry for the problems you got. The dipstick urine test results can be:
- Negative - normal, ok
- Trace - still considered normal
- +1 - elevated - I imagine this is why they sent your urine for a culture
- +2, +3, +4 enough to diagnose preeclampsia if you also have high blood pressures.

The dipstick can give both false positive and false negative results, so I think they should have asked you to do a 24h protein test to make sure that the "trace" that you got was indeed a small amount. Their explanation is reasonable, but in order to rule out either a kidney problem or preeclampsia, they need to do a 24h test.

A normal result for a 24h test is below 150mg/24h.

The most important thing that you need to take care of is the blood pressure. It needs to be below 140/90. It also depends on what week you are and what is your normal BP. In the second trimester, the BP usually decreases, so a 130/80 which would normally be ok, could be a little high.

Headaches can be normal symptoms in pregnancy and they say that they might be caused by hormones. However, sometimes a higher than normal BP can cause mild headaches, so don't forget to tell your doctor about them.

There are no blood tests for preeclampsia. The only tests are the Blood pressure and the protein in urine. The tests they are doing are for HELLP, a preeclampsia variant, which can get dangerous more quickly, where your kidneys and liver can fail. The blood tests do not rule out preeclampsia.

Also the tests are a temporary measure. What is ok today, can be wrong tomorrow. That being said, if you actually watch for the signs and symptoms and let your provider know if any of them occurs as soon as possible, you can be delivered if preeclampsia becomes dangerous for you, so don't be scared, just alert. Let us know how are you doing!

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:25 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:25 am

Mb,

I don't know all the answers, but here is my thinking.

Normally when they just do the in-office "dipstick" urine tests, trace is an actual reading on the strip. I had that through the entire 2nd half of my pregnancy and it is considered fairly normal, though if it does increase, they want to pay close attention. Protein can indicate many things, not just preeclampsia.

You haven't mentioned what your blood pressure is running? Is it high or normal? If your BP is normal, then I wouldn't worry too much about the protein, but like you said, watch for symptoms just in case.

The lab tests can rule out preeclampsia and Hellp syndrome at that moment, but that doesn't mean it cannot change in another hour. If you understand what I mean.

As to the headaches, if they started at the beginning of your pregnancy, they are most likely hormone induced. One of the fabulous joys of pregnancy that I SO LOVE! [;)] Can you hear the sarcasm? When they talk about headaches and preeclampsia, they are related to intercranial swelling and "THE HEADACHE" I guess is the worst you could possibly imagine. I have never had it, though I did seem to be getting more and more migrane-type headaches the higher my BP got in my last pg and I was incredibly swollen, though no one but DH really knew how much (well, and me). So, perhaps you can work your way up to "the headache" but I don't honestly know. That was a long answer, sorry! lol

Have you had preeclampsia in a previous pregnancy? How far along are you now?

Best wishes!
Catherine

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby laura » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:24 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:24 am

I absolutely agree with the gals- but you know my thought on this is that since you've had a trace more than once- it might be a good idea to request a 24 hour urine. A 24 hour is required in the diagnosis of PE and is much, much more accurate than dipped tests, which are unduly influenced by how concentrated your urine is.

A trace is normal, and many healthy pregnancies have it- but many of us who developed hypertension had persistent traces that were a tiny clue that something was brewing. In any event, even it comes out entirely normal- it's always good to have a baseline to compare future tests to. Let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby mbaschnagel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 04:37 pm

by mbaschnagel (2 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 04:37 pm

ok so let me see if I have this. If the "trace" is evidence of something brewing eventually you would start to have other symptoms, but they can come on fast and furious. I am 34 weeks, and my bp has been normal. This is my 6th pregnancy, and the other 5 were very healthy pregnancies. Not sure if either one of these has anything to do with anything, but I wanted to give you the whole picture. Thanks so much!!!
quote:

I absolutely agree with the gals- but you know my thought on this is that since you've had a trace more than once- it might be a good idea to request a 24 hour urine. A 24 hour is required in the diagnosis of PE and is much, much more accurate than dipped tests, which are unduly influenced by how concentrated your urine is.

A trace is normal, and many healthy pregnancies have it- but many of us who developed hypertension had persistent traces that were a tiny clue that something was brewing. In any event, even it comes out entirely normal- it's always good to have a baseline to compare future tests to. Let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

mbaschnagel

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 04:48 pm

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 04:48 pm

I tried to seach out a few webpages that may lend some information for you. You can read through and see if any of it is helpful.

http://web.vet.cornell.edu/public/popmed/clinpath/CPmodules/ua-rout/protstix.htm

http://www.topdocsonline.com/practices/PracticeInfo.asp?ID=511&PracID=18

Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Return to Ask the Experienced