Bruises

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Bruises

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:14 am

So here's a kind of odd question that I asked in another post...

I was getting random bruises on my legs and sometimes my arms. I'm not clumsy and am actually quite deliberate in my movements and would remember if something hurt that bad to make those bruises. lol

Since about 6 wks pg they've faded (that's normal...lol) but I haven't gotten any more.

So, I don't know what my question is? Is this a good sign/ bad sign? If I should be tested, how would I talk my dr into that? If the bruising has gone away, is it too late to do any testing?

Thanks, Catherine

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : Bruises

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:40 am

This is a long shot, but something that popped into mind reading your post. Were you taking an iron supplement before you were pregnant? Maybe you have an iron deficiency causing the bruising? But then again - you mentioned not remembering bumping or hitting yourself to cause the bruises. Hmmmm - I guess I was thinking that now you are probably taking a prenatal vitamin and possibly getting enough iron.

Sorry for the ramble. I hope everything is better and there is no reason for it all. I would mention it to your provider though.

How are you feeling otherwise? Any yucky feelings yet?

Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 06, 2004 01:06 pm

A little nausea...but no HG!!! Haven't even thrown up once! YAY! (have been close a few times though) Hoping things stay that way.

As far as the iron, I was taking flinstones w/ iron pre-pg (yum) and my hematocrit actually tends to be on the high end when not pg. Who knows though? I just don't have much faith in this dr I saw...probably should switch but going to give him atleast one more chance. lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 07:34 am

I bruise very easily. Even sitting on a barstool will leave the back of my legs bruised all the way across. I'd get bruises where I never even know I bumped.

I did find out recently that the reason I bruise so easily is because I have Factor V Leiden (blood clot disorder). Not sure if you've been tested for any clotting disorders, but that may be something you might want to consider.
tahoe4

Postby kim » Wed Jan 07, 2004 09:42 am

Catherine,

Did you have HG with your first pg? I would so love to hear a story where a woman didn't have PE AND HG again.
Hugs

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby akemt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:26 am

Kim,

I did have HG, but it wasn't a very severe case, I'd imagine. The worse I got was 7 bouts of vomitting in one day, which left me vomitting blood so I went to the ER. They put me on fluids and I was later put on Reglan by my doctor. The reglan curbed the vomitting to maybe only once or twice a week but left me with horrid nausea. UGh. And it started at 8 wks and went away at 16 when I started to get an appetite and tried going off the meds. Boy was I ever happy!

This time around, I've passed the 8 wk mark with some comparatively mild nausea but no HG. I was actually fairly confident that the HG wouldn't come back. Not as confident about the PIH. I have some aversions and have to eat as soon as I feel hungry, but can still eat normal foods! I can even still drink fruit juices and eat spaghetti without needing brown sugar in the sauce! So, I guess that means I have no heartburn at this point either. What a difference. HOping things continue this way!

BTW, it is finally snowing here! YAY!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
akemt

Return to Ask the Experienced