Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hypertension meds question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Hypertension meds question

Postby melissa » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:05 am

by melissa (4 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:05 am

Hi,
I've made it to 36 weeks in my first pregnancy, with so far only HBP working against me (never had HBP until the pregnancy). I've been receiving good care (weekly ultrasounds, NST's, frequent blood draws), and been monitoring my BP at home. Since 29 weeks when my BP hit 180/90, I've been taking labetalol in increasing doses to try and steady things out. The past 5 days though my BP seems to be sneaking back up to 150/85. Sometimes though at home I'm getting readings of 125/75. I'm just wondering why there is so much fluctuation, and what other peoples' experiences have been with this or other BP meds. I'm wondering whether I should be worried about labor with readings like 150/85. I guess I'm also worried about p.e. complications popping up suddenly. Thanks for any input!
melissa

Re : Hypertension meds question

Postby laura » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:31 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:31 am

Hi Melissa, welcome to the Forum- I think what you're seeing is the tendency of hypertension to worsen as you get closer to term. I was on antihypertensives during my second pregnancy, and my BP was really well controlled by them from 28-34 weeks- and then at 35-6 my pressures started rising again. My docs said that they had anticipated that happening. I had other problems that made me deliver- but I think they probably would have upped my meds to compensate for the increase otherwise.

This is definitely something you're going to want to ask your doc about- what do they want to do about it? I'm pretty certain they have a gameplan in mind, just ask 'em about it[:)]

Your concern of something more serious popping up is legitimate. Often, if it's going to happen, it'll happen with the increase near term. Be on close lookout for sudden swelling, rapid pulse, and most importantly- central nervous system involvement- blurred vision, seeing "stars", intense headaches that won't go away. If you get any of those symptoms- go straight in to the ER. I'll keep my fingers crossed you have a safe and quick delivery soon. Take care!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Re : Hypertension meds question

Postby evansmom » Fri Jan 09, 2004 06:22 am

by evansmom (144 Posts), Fri Jan 09, 2004 06:22 am

Hi Melissa,
Like you my BPs were all over the place towards the end of my first pregnancy. I was put on Aldomet at 29 wks. I never developed protein, but did have swelling and hyperreflexia. Anyway, my pressures always seemed controlled at home but usually @ the doctor they went up as high as 170/100 -- even with meds. I don't know if anxiety played a part, or it was the physical exertion ( I was on bed rest at home, and always took my pressure lying on my left side, as ordered). I too was worried about labor, but surprisingly my BPs were normal. I know the anesthesiologist told me having an epidural would lower my BP, and my doctor put me on mag sulfate. (The surprise came a day after delivery, after my pressure had been about 130/80 when it shot back up again to 180/100. I left the hospital on different bp meds.) I don't know if you were considering an epidural, but if lowere bp is a positive side effect, its worth talking to your doctor about. Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Lauren - 27
DH Jeff
Evan -12-9-01
EDD -7-11-04
evansmom

Return to Ask the Experienced