Sad thoughts

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jen44

Re : Sad thoughts

Postby jen44 » Thu Jul 16, 637671 5:12 pm

I think this is probably something that a lot of us think about, I certainly have - like, I wouldn't be alive had I lived in an earlier time and my son wouldn't be either - but then I just feel so thankful for being born in the time and place I was and that this journey is mine to travel and we were meant to be here for a greater purpose. That is just how I have conconciled the scary thoughts of "what if things were different". If modern science wasn't here to help us with the various ailments and illnesses, A VAST MAJORITY of us wouldn't be alive today, right? Even what we think of as a common flu virus today would have been deadly for many back in the day... science is good!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Tue Jul 07, 637671 7:56 pm

I tend to be the glass is half empty girl.....but my pregnancy, surviving it, surviving hellp and my sons mere existence make me believe in miracles....I feel lucky to meet this young man.....I know that he was destined to be even in a 3rd world country he would have fought for his survival....he is strong and i am sure here to teach me more than i could teach him.....please keep sharing your thoughts your daughter will be better equipped for your struggle should she experience any herself.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Jul 06, 637671 8:50 pm

100, even 50, years ago women more often than not died from PE, if it weren't for modern medicine (like Julie pointed out) most of us would likely not be here. I seriously doubt I would have made it through my pregnancy either. Hopefully, PE (like many other diseases) will become completely manageable, treatable, or even prevented. In the meantime, you need to have faith and confidence that your sweet little girl is meant to be here and you were both meant to survive and thrive. The devastating effects of PE don't just go away after baby's arrival; there are a LOT of psychological and emotional issues (that maybe aren't often discussed enough) that PE moms are dealt. I had the same thoughts when my baby was born, I was terribly depressed (looking back in hindsight), and I wouldn't admit it because I felt everyone expected me to just be grateful for a healthy baby and an impending recovery. It was a very dark time looking back now, but it gets better...I PROMISE. It's good that you're talking about your thoughts; it's far more than I was willing to do, and it probably hindered my emotional healing. Best wishes to you.

julie f

Postby julie f » Mon Jul 06, 637671 1:02 pm

I have often thought, if you go along with the whole "survival of the fittest" theory, I would not be here today... Without the help of modern medicine, I would not have survived my first pregnancy. Without the help of modern medicine, I likely may not have had a successful second pregnancy either... It is an eery feeling to know that 100 years ago, maybe even just 25 or 50, you wouldn't have survived what is supposed to be a very "natural" experience.

Without going into it too much, I truly believe that doors open and people/opportunities are put in your path for a reason. I think that my work here on earth must not be done, that I was given the benefit of this modern medicine for a reason. That my son is here for a reason as well, all of our miracles are.

I pray that by the time our children have children, preeclampsia will be a treatable, manageable - or even nonexistant - concern. That's what we're doing here right?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 06, 637671 10:10 am

Humans are part of Nature -- we have changed the environment in which we live by introducing things like vaccines and C-sections. You and your daughter are well-suited to *this* environment.

Or at least, that's *my* theory. [:D]

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Sun Jul 05, 637671 8:43 pm

I really agree with squishy.
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way and I can remember having the same thoughts following the birth of my 3rd baby who wouldn't be here if not for medical science.
It did pass though and eventually I came to realise that I didn't care what got him here, as long as he was here.
Think of all the people that wouldn't be here if it wasn't for medicine and science.....measles, chicken pox, flu, asthma would kill millions everyday.
I hope you feel better soon and remember your little one is a fighter who wanted to be here.
Take care and all the very very best.
Love Lucy.

squishy

Postby squishy » Sun Jul 05, 637671 8:00 pm

I am sorry you are feeling this way. I can relate to a certain degree. I feel, however, that nature and science go hand in hand. Science and progress have allowed you to be here with your baby. You were born in an advanced country as was your beautiful daughter. You are both here and so perhaps it was very much meant to be.
When your little girl is ready to have children preeclampsia may be a very treatable disorder. As modern medicine continues to evolve there is a good chance that she may not be consumed with this burden that is preeclampsia. Give yourself credit for having pulled through and survived the experience. Be kind to yourself. Motherhood comes in many forms.

divreizdivi

Sad thoughts

Postby divreizdivi » Sun Jul 05, 637671 11:26 am

I have these heavy and painful thoughts lately... because of the preeclampsia. I feel that the Nature didn't want me to become a mother and I only have my little daughter due to the modern medicine. If in a 3rd world country, if in another century.... I wouldn't be here writing and neither my little precious baby living.

And moreover - now she has to carry with her the burden I gave her - the high risk of having preeclampsia. And that I would become a grandmother only because of the medical advancments. That normally and naturally my genes shouldn't go on...
:(

Return to “Ask the Experienced”