Post Reply FAQ Members Login

PG Friend in Thailand w/HBP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

PG Friend in Thailand w/HBP

Postby maxs mom » Fri Jan 09, 2004 03:40 pm

Hi everyone! I need your advice. A very close friend of mine who lives in Thailand is 34 weeks PG. She just went to her regular checkup yesterday and while there her BP was 142/85. The doctor told her to buy a blood pressure machine at the drug store and start monitoring her pressure. He said if it reaches 140/90 or greater to call him and go to the hospital. Well last night it went to 147/92, so she went to the hospital. They confirmed her blood pressure was still high and ran tests (nothing extensive) She didn't see her regular doctor as he was at dinner, but he did talk to the attending doctor. That doctor told her that her doctor said she should go home and if the BP went to 150/100 to definitely come back in. I asked her about a urine test and she said she did one at the doctors office and they told her it was "fine". This morning when she woke up she wasn't feeling well (no headache though) and she said her face was so swollen it looked like she had been crying all night (she hadn't). And her BP was high, but not quite 140/90.

Anyway, of course she is a little freaked out, one because she lives in a foriegn country, two because I had PE and delivered at 25 weeks. So I gave her the following advice:
-Call your doctor first thing and tell him the following
1. Your BP readings
2. Not feeling well, swollen in face and other symptoms
3. Ask to have a 24 hr urine test, just to be on safe side
4. Ask if you should be on bed rest just to be safe

Is there anything else I should tell her? I did tell her if she started to experience a headache or vision changes she should get to the hospital right away. I also told her just because her BP was high didn't mean she would get PE, so I didn't want her to worry so much. I also told her not to feel like she was bugging her doctor, just tell him about me, he should understand why shw was being super cautious. What else should I tell her, did I miss anything?
THANKS!

Kara (33)
DH, John (35)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Re : PG Friend in Thailand w/HBP

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Jan 09, 2004 03:48 pm

Gosh - how awful for your friend - but how lucky she is to have you for support! Hopefully she will be alright and be able to make it a little longer.
Has she been having any visual changes? Upper quadrent pain? Does she have test strips to check her urine? Do they have access to a visiting nurse if necessary? - I was fortunate to have one and that was a huge help.

I hope your friend makes it through and delivers a healthy baby.

Keep us posted, please!
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby annegarrett » Fri Jan 09, 2004 08:16 pm

Kara,

I think you are right to be concerned--facial swelling is not a good sign. Can you send her the link to our Signs and Symptoms page? It gives good advice as to when to act--what signs fall into the
Do NOT pass GO category...go to our Home page above, click on About Preeclampsia and follow the link to Signs and Symptoms!

Let us know how she is doing.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby maxs mom » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:41 pm

Thanks for your replies!
I just spoke to my friend. She is being admitted to the hospital for 24 hour observation by her doctor. There is still no protein in her urine, which is great news. She does have a headache and is seeing spots. Her doctor thinks it might just be nerves because the headache is in the back of the head, not the front (never heard that one before). I told her not to worry, it was good she was in the hospital. The best thing to do was take it easy and try to rest, as hard as it might be.

I feel so bad for her, actually I feel bad for all girlfriends of mine who were PG after my son was born. Like me, they were all dreaming of a normal pregnancy, and when they saw what happened to us, I think they were all scared it could happen to them too. I keep telling my friend in Thailand just because she has HBP doesn't mean she'll get PE. And I keep reassuring that she is 34 weeks along, which is positive.

Boy, this has really opened a lot of wounds for me too, as my son's first birthday is approaching. This friend in Thailand is what we call my son's "birthday twin" because their birthdays are on the same day. Ironic.

Kara (33)
DH, John (35)
maxs mom

Postby maxs mom » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:52 pm

Just a quick update.

My friend checked herself out of the hospital today. Her blood pressure has stabilized. The doctor said OK, but she needed to be on bed rest. So I told her, this means bed rest! You can get up to use bathroom but you need to be in bed otherwise, no light chores, no walking around etc. Your DH needs to wait on you hand and foot. She couldn't believe this. I don't think she wanted to believe it (she wa watching TV in living room when I called). But when I explained that two weeks in bed was going to mean a lifetime of healthiness for baby, even though absolutely boring to her, it was 100% worth it. I asked her what did the doctor explain she should do. He told her, "Absolute Bed Rest" and I said, "see aboslute means absolute!" Why do these doctors continue to not explain clearly what they mean when they say bed rest. I have heard confusion about this so many times before, it drives me crazy!

Kara (33)
DH, John (35)
maxs mom

Postby aimeejane » Sun Jan 11, 2004 09:29 am

Kara, how wonderful for your friend that she has you to talk to! I hope she takes your advice and has gotten in bed to stay. Please let us know how she does!

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby season » Mon Jan 12, 2004 09:28 am

I agree that doctors need to define bed rest, otherwise it's easy to do too mcuh. I don't think TV in the lving room is bad though. You don't need to aly in bed staring off into space doing nothing. I spent a good prtion of my ebdrest laying ont he coudh watching tv. It's the laying down that's improtant.

For the record I was told I could sit up to eat. But I was not allowed to cook etc. It was nice to not have to try and eat laying on my side. That would have been hard.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
#2 EDD 7/6/04
season
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced