Question on Creatinine levels....

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
youtan

Re : Question on Creatinine levels....

Postby youtan » Sun Dec 27, 637671 2:32 pm

My personal opinion - I think your resident OB realized he forgot to ask for the protein, and so.... he's fixing his mistake. But, the L&D should have known better - are there perinatologists at your hospital overseeing complications in pregnant women coming through???!!?!?

Don't hesitate - go back in (to L&D) if you need to....

mich_momma

Postby mich_momma » Sun Dec 27, 637671 12:06 pm

Tanya - I've been going in for weekly NST's for about 2 weeks now, and I start twice weekly NST's on Mon. I've never needed a BPP. I'm very surprised that they sent me home as well, and trust me, if I weren't at 35 weeks, I would be looking for a new OB ASAP. I'm tired of getting the run around.

I still don't understand WHy they didn't keep me overnight for a 24 hr. That way the results would be back already and they'd KNOW if I had protein. I think my OB just wanted to "shut me up" and that's why he ordered a repeat 24 hr.... Who knows.

youtan

Postby youtan » Sun Dec 27, 637671 11:33 am

I just want to ask you - are you doing kick counts? Have you had an NST or BPP lately (like say during your L&D visit). I'm SOOO very surprised that with BPs as high as they were in L&D (while on BP meds), given your hyperreflexes, etc, etc, that they just sent you home without a routine PIH blood panel - or without keeping you overnight for the 24 hr test.

Do take care in the next few days - and keep insisting for tests.

mich_momma

Postby mich_momma » Sun Dec 27, 637671 1:12 am

Joy - the last test, he had requested the total protein as well as the Creatinine levels, and creatinine clearance. The total protein was NOT done, for whatever reason. So that's one reason he wanted another test. And the other reason was b/c the creatinine tests came back super, super low, and he didn't believe those results. He said that with those levels, I would be in end stage renal failure, and he doesn't think I'm "that sick". I'm thinking about refusing care from him from now on -- he is a new resident at my OB practice, so sometimes it's just the "luck of the draw" that I get him, which is the case in L&D yesterday.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sat Dec 26, 637671 10:53 pm

I still don't understand about the last 24 hour test - did he get results and just not believe them, or intercept the urine befor it was tested and decide to do another test? I guess that it doesn't really matter, what matters is that the dang (I really want to insert a swear word here - it just seems the place for it, but I won't - feel free to use your own) OB wouldn't do it. Is there anyway that you can refuse care from that guy? Good luck to you.

Joy

jana m

Postby jana m » Sat Dec 26, 637671 5:07 pm

Michelle,
We are all frustrated right along with you. I want to give your doctors a piece of my mind! I am really keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope everything turns our alright.

Please keep us updated. I think we'll all be thinking about you!

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Sat Dec 26, 637671 4:27 pm

Hi Michelle,
You poor darling.. this is terrible for you.
I don't want to be an alarmist.... BUT... I really think you need to get back to the L&D and demand to be taken seriously and have EVERY test done.
Like Caryn said, 4+ reflexes needs to be taken seriously. My reflexes were 4+ just before my ob decided to deliver me at 30 weeks for fear of seizure (other things were happening too, but he took the brisk reflexes VERY seriously). Brain involvement in PE is something that is very difficult to monitor or 'test' for.
If it was me, I'd be insisting on being admitted and observed and if they still want you to do a 24 hour, do it in hospital where you can be monitored and results will be instant.

My 1st baby was born at 35 and second at 34 weeks and they were 5.11 and 5.4 and both came home after 7 days. They took awhile feeding but thrived and are now the healthiest two monsters getting around.

Please keep us up to date... I'll be thinking of you!
Good luck,
Love Lucy

mich_momma

Postby mich_momma » Sat Dec 26, 637671 4:27 pm

Caryn -- I can pay for your airfare and you can come down and yell with me??? :-) The one good thing I have going in my favor is that I feel SO educated about all of this -- even the OB nurse last night commented on how much I knew!

I *THINK* that the main reason my OB is so hesitant to do anything is b/c I HAVEN'T reached 300 mg of protein yet. So he's basically ignoring all my other signs and symptoms and saying that until I get to 300 mg, he doesn't think I'm sick. But how can he look at all those signs/symptoms and NOT be worried? He made me feel horrible last night and was basically making it seem like I WANTED to have a preemie and deal with all that stress, instead of just holding out for another few weeks. But if i'm having these escalating symptoms, I WANT to be taken care of.

So I started my 24 hr test, and we'll see what that holds. I hope to have the results back by Monday....

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Dec 26, 637671 1:48 pm

Michelle, I would love to come over and scream at people with you. I can't believe how many times you've gone in and had them mess something up.

You're absolutely right -- PE causes renal failure, PE causes the high bps, PE causes the hyperreflexia, PE causes the agitation, PE causes the low urine output, blah blah blah. It's soo frustrating when you know all of that as well as you do that they're not more worried about your symptoms.

+4 hyperreflexia means you're right on the edge of clonus IIRC, which my OB treated very, very seriously -- it's a seizure indicator.

Yes, at 35 weeks your baby might need a spot of NICU care -- although with steroid shots that's unlikely to last all that long. But you're also reporting bp into the diagnostic range for severe PE (one of 160/110) and hyperreflexia. It's a balancing act between mom's health and baby's, and at this late stage of pregnancy our Experts are pretty much in agreement that severe PE patients are a "better out than in" scenario -- the Working Group Report lists 34 weeks as a delivery point for severe PE patients. And there's no way to tell at this point if your protein is high enough or not, because *they keep forgetting to check it*, but if it's over 300, and you've got one bp reading of one of 160/110, you're a severe PE patient.

Keep us posted. Can you go to a different hospital?

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Wed Dec 16, 637671 11:30 am

Yes go to l & d and they can do the 24 hour there too.....just means that you have to stay there......i had to do that once and then the dr will know that you did not "mess" up the test........not that i think you did.....just another idea

best of luck and you are in my thoughts!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”