Post Reply FAQ Members Login

HELLP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

HELLP

Postby jjbeck1 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 01:16 pm

by jjbeck1 (208 Posts), Sun Jan 11, 2004 01:16 pm

I have a few questions re hellp. I know this is a serious condition, but does anyone know the manifistation of hellp.
Is it sudden or are their warnings?
The reason I am asking is I have had upper rt side pain for a while now. I mean horrible pain. It hurts when I eat or drink, as if my stomache is pushing on something, but the pain I get is further to the right and feels like my ribs are breaking. It also hurts to lay on my side. My gall bladder checked out to be fine.
My ALT and AST however have been elevated since oct but docs say it is from HG even though it has been under control since oct/nov.
And of course I have had the very high bp readings and edema. But all of these thing have been going on for a while now.
I am not thinking I Have hellp, but just wondering if their are warning signs.
I only have trace protein...and that is when I check my urine.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04
jjbeck1

Re : HELLP

Postby catherine » Sun Jan 11, 2004 01:37 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Sun Jan 11, 2004 01:37 pm

Jen, it is very much a laboratory diagnosis, you'd need blood tests to rule it out. I know that there have been folks who have had it and feel fine, no URQ pain at all. If you do see someone new, if they don't want to check platlets, liver enzymes etc., keep going!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby angelical » Sun Jan 11, 2004 03:19 pm

by angelical (330 Posts), Sun Jan 11, 2004 03:19 pm

Catherine is right... All of us who have had HELLP had different symptoms.

For me, the lab results (luckily I was in the hospital on bedrest) showed my liver & platelets were going bad... At the same time, I started feeling a horrible headache and was nauseous. By the time they delivered Aaron that evening, I was pretty much out of it. As far as I know, I never had the URQ pain.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Postby twolfgram » Sun Jan 11, 2004 04:05 pm

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Sun Jan 11, 2004 04:05 pm

I had HELLP as well and did have the RUQ pain. Really, bad pain, kind of in the area under my right breast, toward the middle. I would get back to the dr and have more blood work done, maybe even suggest HELLP especially if your gallbladder checked out ok. Can't be too careful with this condition. BTW - What is HG? Thanks.

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - 28 weeks born 10/4/95
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02
twolfgram

Return to Ask the Experienced