Post Reply FAQ Members Login

protein-for how long

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

protein-for how long

Postby bacheak » Mon Jan 12, 2004 09:26 am

by bacheak (12 Posts), Mon Jan 12, 2004 09:26 am

It's been 8 weeks now since Ashley was born. I was 4+ protein for a couple of weeks before I was told they had to deliver her (when my bp went up further and I gained 10 lbs the last week). I checked my urine yesterday for the first time in a very long time expecting to find no protein and it was still at 2+. My bp is only 140/90 now which is low compared to what it was especially after the delivery (about 190/110 before 220/140 after). Why is my protein still 2+? There are no signs of an infection so I'm assuming it's still hanging on from that horrible preeclampsia. What do you think?
bacheak

Re : protein-for how long

Postby laura » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:15 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:15 am

Ooh, that's a good question! My (non-medical) guess would be that when your hypertension resolves, your protein probably would, too.

But since it's been past six weeks (the time most docs would say it takes for preeclampsia to clear completely) I'd make an appointment with either your family doctor or an internal medicine doctor to get it checked out.

I have heard it said that when hypertension hangs on for a long time after preeclampsia, it can be a sign that chronic hypertension or some other underlying disorder is complicating things. (Great, something to look forward to, huh?[}:)])

take care, and let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Allicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Re : protein-for how long

Postby ileana » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:36 am

by ileana (1010 Posts), Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:36 am

I'm still fighting the protein... almost a year after delivery... However it's too little for a nephrologist to really take it seriously (250mg/24h). I'm taking some antihypertensives as well for a borderline BP.

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat! Hope your goes away quicker than mine!

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Return to Ask the Experienced