Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Is it possible to have pre-e with normal bp?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Is it possible to have pre-e with normal bp?

Postby full nest » Mon Jan 12, 2004 08:16 pm

Hi, I'm 33 weeks and my BP has been normal all along. (Well, it was elevated once in early pg and I posted about it, but it went back to normal and stayed that way.) My question is this: I'm having pain in my upper right belly which I know can be a sign of pre-e among other things. I don't know what my urine is doing because I never ask and they don't bring it up, but my BP is normal (120/80). I've had edema since 20 weeks, but nothing horrendous (I call it Dented Leg Syndrome LOL). Could it be pre-e or hellp? Or my gallbladder? I'll ask my doc on Thursday, but I'd like your input as well. Oh, also, the area is tender when I press it as well. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mother Bird

Mom to triplets with one on the way, due 2/28/04.
full nest

Re : Is it possible to have pre-e with normal bp?

Postby sarab » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:00 pm

Mother Bird,

I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks post-partum, and your symptoms sound similar to what mine were. At least they started out like that, and then out of the blue it turned into the most excruciating pain. We rushed to the ER, convinced I had gone into HELLP. Needless to say, I was SO relieved to find out that it was "just" my gallbladder. [:)]

If your BP is normal then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but be sure to mention it to your doc. Let us know how things go!

Sara, 23
DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:54 am

when you press does it hurt when you push in or as its coming back up?

If it hurts when its coming bak up that is known as rebound pain and is typical of some gallbladder but also appendicitis.

You should call your doctor and let them know you are having the pain there and be checked out. Gallbladder problems are quite common in pregnancy (I would have to check but the numbers are similiar if not greater then the amount of woman who suffer from PE)

Also, it could be a sore, pulled, or torn muscle from the weight of the baby (or doing something else hmm *winks* hehe excuse my dirty little mind today [;)]) in either your stomach, side, or your back. If that is the case, your doc (if you want) can prescribe medication to lower the inflamation and reduce the pain. I had a tore rib cage muscle and it hurt in both my back and under my right side (they thought it was my appendix) and it took almsot 3 weeks and heavy dosage of tylonal to find out what it really was.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby audrey s. » Wed Jan 14, 2004 00:27 am

My BP was mostly normal; my signs were more spasms of the blood vessels in my legs, and hyper-reflexes. However, since pain where you describe it could also be referred pain from liver and/or spleen enlargment, I would urge you to check things out; if your legs are "denting" that is known as "pitting edema" and definitely something to consider. Also, you should know what your urine testing is doing, and they should also be monitoring your liver enzymes.

I hope by the time you get this you've called your doctor!!!

Audrey

Mom to Rebecca, now 7 1/2 Born 37 weeks, low oxygen at birth, ICU 2 days for me, 2 months for her
audrey s.

Return to Ask the Experienced