Question I am confussed??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock

Re : Question I am confussed??

Postby missgamecock » Fri Sep 01, 2006 06:32 am

I took procardia for bp. But I also think my ob gave it to me as a contraction thing too (kind of like kill two birds with one stone if you kwim). Never switched midwpregnancy though.

michayla79

Postby michayla79 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 01:49 am

called ob they really dont have much to sat just that it is a precaution do to high glucose test still wont let me talk to the ob but agreed to run more test so I feel more comfortable with the medication change thank You All so much for being here and listening

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Sep 01, 2006 01:26 am

BTW, I did a search under Nifedipine (also known under its brand name Procardia) and this is what I found...

Nifedipine is sometimes used in late pregnancy to control moderate to severe high blood pressure.

Among the general population, nifedipine is used to treat migraines, high blood pressure, and heart problems.

Side effects of nifedipine include:

Fluid retention.
Constipation.
Low blood pressure.
Dizziness, lightheadedness, and nervousness.
Skin flushing or redness.
Headache.
Nausea.
Muscle cramps or tremors.
Rapid lowering of blood pressure with this medication may affect blood flow to the placenta and fetus. It is therefore done under close medical supervision.

See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.) http://www.webmd.com/hw/being_pregnant/ ... sp#tp20586

Hope this helps! I'd still be calling my OB!

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Fri Sep 01, 2006 01:21 am

I totally agree with Patty on this one. Your best weapon is to stay informed.

I don't understand why your doctor would switch medications without discussing it with you. I too took Procardia but it was only postpartum.

Personally, I'd be calling my OB ASAP to find out why the change and and what to expect in the way of side effects. Let us know what you find out. I'm curious to know myself!

patty

Postby patty » Fri Sep 01, 2006 00:57 am

I was given procardia twice postpartum but never while still pregnant. I would just call my Dr. if I were you and ask them to explain the change and reasons for it. Your best weapon is to stay informed. Don't let up until you get the answers you need.

michayla79

Question I am confussed??

Postby michayla79 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 08:05 pm

Posted this on pg again but wondering if I can get a answer here as well I am totally confused on why they would change medication without talking to me and explaining to me what this can mean and what some of the new side effects can do to the baby?
Okay ladies I have a little question with a history of PE and HELLP and preterm labor has anybody been switched from Treb to Procardia??
My Glucose was up and they called stating they changed medication but I wonder if they took any of my history into consideration...

Return to “Ask the Experienced”