Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Heparin as a precaution?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Heparin as a precaution?

Postby lauras » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:47 am

by lauras (91 Posts), Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:47 am

Are aspirin and heparin usually prescribed as precautionary or only when labs come back that there is a clotting issue?

I had my 2nd peri appt. yesterday - only without the peri because he was on an emergency. The NP went over all my post pre-eclampsia testing that has been done and everything came back fine [:D]. However, the peri had made a note about starting aspirin and heparin but she didn't know if that was before or after he saw my test results because the clotting tests were fine. So, she's got me on the aspirin but I'll find out about the heparin next visit. Just wondering if anyone else was put on it when they had no apparent clotting issues.

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Hoping for another girl 8/24/04
lauras

Re : Heparin as a precaution?

Postby julie f » Thu Jan 15, 2004 02:56 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Thu Jan 15, 2004 02:56 pm

Laura,

I also tested normal for all of the clotting disorders and my doctor said that he will put me on aspirin when we start TTC. I got a 2nd opinion and she stated the same recommendation.

So glad that your tests results were good. Can you put in a call to your doc so that you don't have to wait until your next appt?

Julie (26)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe
julie f

Re : Heparin as a precaution?

Postby lisac » Thu Jan 15, 2004 06:10 pm

by lisac (247 Posts), Thu Jan 15, 2004 06:10 pm

Hi Laura,
Regarding heparin, I think it just depends upon the doctor. It seems that most women here are not automatically prescribed heparin unless there's a specific clotting problem. I don'have an identified clotting problem, but two doctors have recommended it; I think some doctors may think it's overkill.
I look forward to learning more about this during a doctor's appt. in a few weeks. I will share what I learn.
Good luck!
Lisa
lisac

Return to Ask the Experienced