elevated liver enzymes

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

elevated liver enzymes

Postby chris » Thu Jan 15, 2004 05:49 pm

My sister gave birth on 2/13/04, she had elevated liver enzymes which she was given magnesium sulfate for. The enzymes were going back to normal but have gone up again, can anyone give me some information on this.[:I]
chris

Re : elevated liver enzymes

Postby akemt » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:31 am

Chris,

Elevated liver enzymes is part of the HELLP syndrome. I know that with Preeclampsia it can take a while for things to get back to normal and would venture to say HELLP is somewhat like that since it is a more severe form of preeclampsia. I really don't have any answers for you but someone else will likely respond who knows more.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby annegarrett » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:48 am

Elevated liver enzymes is also part of preeclampsia, fyi.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby jjbeck1 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 08:08 am

Anne,
Can you have elevated liver enzymes from pre e before you have or if you do not have proteinuria?

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04
jjbeck1

Postby paljane8 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:32 am

Jen,

I know you mentioned before that your liver enzymes were elevated. HELLP is another way that PE presents. Elevated liver enzymes are associated with HELLP and it is my understanding that HELLP can happen with or without proteinuria. PE is diagnosed with bp of 140/90 or a rise in baseline bp of 30 pts systolic (top number) and 15 pts diastolic (bottom) with +2 protein in urine. This is the HELLP Society's website and I think you should read up and very, very aware of the symptoms. http://hometown.aol.com/hellp1995/hellpmedicalfacts.html#Symptoms

So many of us are worried about you because, in my opinion, you are not presenting in the classic way. Please stay in touch and be healthy!

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby jjbeck1 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 08:35 am

Thanks Nancy. I know I am not presenting in the classic way. This makes it more frusterating. Even though I devloped hypertension durning this pg, edema, abnormal AFP, HG, elevated ALT and AST, the doctors claim none of those things are related to eachother ( except hg and up ALT) and they are not related to pre e because I developed them so early on.
So if you already have these things early on, how then do they diagnose pre e? or don't they? Do they wait for prtein in urine?
I have had trace protein for a while, but that is not uncommon with me
from intersticial cystitis.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04
jjbeck1

Return to Ask the Experienced