rapid heartbeat

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

rapid heartbeat

Postby evansmom » Thu Jan 15, 2004 08:41 pm

Hi everyone! So far, I have safely made it to 14 1/2 weeks and have been able to come off my Atenolol, since my BPs have been great (my last appt. they were 100/60). My OB seems to think at this point, I don't really need the meds, and the risk of atenolol causing IUGR is too great. The problem is that now I feel lousy. The atenolol helped to control my moderately rapid heart rate. Now, I feel like every time I exert myself, (which is often with a two year old), my heart starts pounding. I've read that pregnancy causes an increase in one's heart beat anyway to keep up with the extra demands on the circulatory system. But now I'm paranoid that the high pulse will cause my BPs to rise. (so far, they've been ok). My resting heartrate is usually about 90. Should I be worried?
Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PE 29wks)
EDD 7-11-01
evansmom

Re : rapid heartbeat

Postby sonja » Fri Jan 16, 2004 08:16 am

Ah, I am so there with you. I hated the way my heart beat during my last pregnancy. I mentioned it to my OB this time and she said that it could be a sign of what is to come, if it abnormally beating fast and hard, but that it is a regular pregnancy symptom as well, as so many things are. I would just make sure that your OB knows about it and take it as easy as you can, although with a 22 month old who hates it when I lay down, I can understand that that is hard. Good luck to you.

Joy
Kira 3-16-02 37 1/2 weeks PE
#2 EDD 6-15-04
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : rapid heartbeat

Postby annegarrett » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:00 am

It is really important to note that blood pressure in pregnancy goes down during the second trimester. This natural process can mask developing PIH or preeclampsia and give health care providers and patients a false sense that the problem has gone away. Particularly as your third trimester approaches--please be extra vigilant with watching your blood pressure and do not hesitate to return to taking medication should your pregnancy pressures follow a typical path and return to being too high.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced