Does PE cause baby/ies death

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Does PE cause baby/ies death

Postby laura » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:21 am

Actually, you guys brought up an interesting subject- Earlier, when the forum first started we discussed the saying that the stress of hypertensive pregnancies actually makes many babies' lungs mature earlier than babies born prematurely for other reasons. My doc had mentioned it with my first who was born at 35 weeks.

Then we actually found an article substantiating it! (and doggone it, I can't find it for the life of me!) And from time to time, we'll hear about really little critters- 32-33 weeks coming out with a good set of breathers, but I do agree that the general rule of thumb is that all bets are off if they're younger than 35 weeks.

Thanks for bringing it up!

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Allicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:47 am

Laura,

My doctor told me the same exact thing...that PE babys' lungs tend to mature faster. He never offered any proof and I never asked since if we were close to term I knew they'd do an amnio and if we were farther away, I'd be shipped off somewhere with a NICU anyway.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby catherine » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:50 am

I'm with you Laura, I think that over all it is safer to assume, until told otherwise, that preterm babies will have breathing issues. I've roadtested 3 in the 35 week 4 days to 36 week zone. Only my Preeclampsia baby had breathing issues and they were severe requiring a ventilator for the first four days and surfactant. The other two were fine. Sizewise they were all the same. I don't know to what extent HELLP contributed to Lucy's inital breathing problems. She also had a polycythemia which is a too high concentration of red blood cells. The neonatologist said that could have been an adaptation to prolonged anoxia in utero but can also occur with crisis deliveries (of which her's was certainly an example). Maybe because she was piling up red blood cells her lungs didn't get the message to mature as fast. When we were expecting Chloe we tried to get the peri to agree to early delivery and he wouldn't (assuming good maternal health) until 38.5 weeks because that is the "pretty much out of the woods even for weak little caucasian boys" timeframe, especially if going the C-section route. We had real difficulty accepting that as our son was delivered at 35 and 4 days with no problems (as an example of wlcb[}:)]).

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:00 am

wlcb? Roflmao! Hey- Doc Catherine- I'm going to start a new thread asking a bunch of hellp questions in your section... Will be giving my first PE speech to some childbirth educators at the beginning of Feb!! Woohoo!

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Allicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 20, 2004 02:08 pm

Mason was born at 36 weeks exactly and while they thought his lungs would be fine, they weren't quite ready yet. His where in what they deemed a transitional stage where they were probably mature enough, but had not expunged all the fluid from the lungs, thus he ended up on oxygen for 3 days.

From what the special delivery unit told us, its more common for 34-36 weekers to not have breathing issues then it is for them too have breathing issues and with the artificial sufflactant, making breathing less of an issue is fairly easy and routine.

In the special delivery unit, it was only the very small babies or those recently born that were on oxygen.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby aimeejane » Tue Jan 20, 2004 03:46 pm

toh...

nicky (28 wks) was only on the ventilator for less than 24 hours...doc said at the time it was the pe maturing the lungs, same as some others have heard...

sorry for the format, kalen's on my knee!

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Postby sjs40 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 01:37 am

same here re lungs...Ellie was 27wks with IUGR and Downs syndrome and didnt have the ventilator at all. We were told it was the pe maturing the lungs.
Sue

Sue (40)
Chris (37)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
24 July 03 - 20 August 03
sjs40

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced