Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Problems with feet after birth

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Problems with feet after birth

Postby davena » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:44 am

by davena (1 Posts), Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:44 am

Hello,

during my pregnancy I had terribly swollen feet/ankles and hands. I did not, fortunately, suffer from pre-eclmpsia but the symptoms were nevertheless uncomfortable.

About 10 days after giving birth the swelling went down which was absolute bliss BUT I have found that I am unable to tread properly first thing in the morning or if I have been sitting down for any length of time. My feet look normal but obviously something is not right. This has lasted 5 months now!!

I have consulted my Dr on 3 occasions.. but they are fairly clue-less. Does anyone out there know why I am unable to walk properly? Has anyone suffered from a similar complaint? Does anyone have any suggestions or know how long this might last?

Thanks
D.

davena

Re : Problems with feet after birth

Postby sherry fisher » Fri Jan 16, 2004 01:01 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Fri Jan 16, 2004 01:01 pm

Hi!
With my last son I suffered from plantarphlatitis. I am sure that is spelled wrong. My heels and the side of one foot would hurt really bad when I got out of bed first thing in the AM or if I would sit for any period of time. Anti inflamatories help somewhat. But the best thing that my podiotrist reccomended was stretching the feet BEFORE getting out of bed. Hormones aggervate the symptoms of this. You probably need to see a podiatrist for a correct diagnosis. I actually had to get cortisone shots in mine at one point, it got so bad!

Good Luck!!!!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby amandab » Fri Jan 16, 2004 02:27 pm

by amandab (166 Posts), Fri Jan 16, 2004 02:27 pm

I had problems with my feet for a while too. They always seemed swollen and stiff after sleeping all night. When I would get out of bed, it would hurt to put pressure on them. Either that went away eventually or I just got used to it b/c I don't notice anymore. I know it lasted at least 4 or 5 months, though. My OB always told me to prop them up when I sleep, but I would always kick the pillows away in my sleep so they never stayed propped up!

Amanda (28)
Hubby (28)
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03, pre-e and abruption
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby catherine » Fri Jan 16, 2004 03:07 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Fri Jan 16, 2004 03:07 pm

OH, OH, MEEEEEE, I know this, and don't worry Davena it will go away!!! The first thing in the morning thing especially. I believe that it relates to the relaxin that you produce when you are pregnant. You need it to get the ligaments in the pelvis to soften enough that they will stretch. However, it goes all around your system and thus the ligaments and tendons in your feet. I think that they then become "overstretched" and once the hormone goes away they stiffen up. That is the early morning misery. I think that the swelling exaggerates the problem. I found that it took almost nine months and losing all my baby weight to make the problem go away and it came back again when I became pregnant again. Seems like the minute I hit 130 lbs the feet stiffen. This time around the problem is much less severe but I had no swelling at all. The best trick I've found for the miserable stumble out of bed is BIG (and I mean that) fluffy slippers. A regular foot massage and scrunching of toes before you stand up also helps me. What doesn't help is having DH chortle about my "walking like a little old lady" to the bathroom before 7 am [B)]. This too will pass, Davena, I have gone up a shoe size though. I used to be a 5 1/2 and now I find 6 almost snug.

HTH

Catherine

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Return to Ask the Experienced