Question of the Day: Diet and PE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
norlisa k

Re : Question of the Day: Diet and PE

Postby norlisa k » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi Emily,

I'm not a dietician, but hey, if you're eating healthier and feeling better--you go, girl! [8D]

My perinatologist (who is excellent) really never focused on diet with me, he always told me to eat when I was hungry. Although I did develop gestational diabetes, he still didn't get on my case because I was watching what I ate carefully and he was happy with my blood sugar levels. My peri wants me to lose weight now, and part of that is eating healthier and eating smaller portions. I'm sure that if you have a doctor that you trust and is a good one, he or she can help answer questions about diet.

We really don't choose one diet over another here on these boards, but I know that a healthy diet is a good diet. [:)] Congrats on finding a diet that is healthy, works for you, and makes you feel better! (Hopefully it adds to your energy level having to watch your 3 1/2 month old son!)

Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, successfully treated with atenolol, NO preeclampsia antepartum. (post-partum preeclampsia)
DH, Gordon (38)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Twins Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03

emily_985

Postby emily_985 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:16 am

I found this article linking preeclampsia to insulin resistance. It's an old article, I'm sure a lot of you have already read this. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone was advocating a diet low in refined carbs for women at risk of developing preeclampsia? I know I ate a ton of refined carbs during my pregnancy, a lot during the end too since it was December and my work had sweets out at all times. Right now I've cut out refined carbs, eating more fruits, veggies and meat and feel a lot better. Here is the article:

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/25/ ... nting=true

Just wondered what anyone thought of this.

Thanks!

Emily
dh Andrew
Andrew Jr (Drew) 12/25/04, c-section at 39 weeks due to pe and hellp

molly419

Postby molly419 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 06:00 pm

I would say that my diet was well-balanced and in portion. I only gained 1 to 2 pounds my first 5 months. I also worked out 5 days a week for 30 minutes, took my vitamins, and cut out caffine, fish, and soda.

Molly
Abigail 25weeker 1lb 1oz due to pre-e and HELLP

dlwb

Postby dlwb » Sat Feb 19, 2005 01:22 pm

My midwife advocates the following to reduce BP but not necessarily prevent or reduce pre-e:
watermelon
cucumber
raw onion
garlic
parsley
pregnancy tea/nettle tea
antioxidants like fresh berries
2 gel caps of Evening Primrose oil a day, or flax seed oil, or more "Good" fish with EFAs
I also take Magnesium and Potassium and Vitamin E.
In some studies, I read extra calcium is also important for prevention of pre-e.

Abrielle Maree 5/8/2003 induced and c-section due to pre-e at 37 1/2 wks 6lbs 12oz 20 1/2in
Baby #2 - It's a BOY - EDD April 2, 2005
http://mysite.verizon.net/walmer-basembe/zebragirl.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/walmer-basembe/joa15.jpg
http://lilypie.com/days/050402/1/22/0/-5/.png

debmc

Postby debmc » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:27 am

With my first baby I ate rather unhealthily and gained loads of weight. I assumed that this was what caused by pih.

So second time around I ate sensibly and gained the right amount of weight. I still developed pih, though worse this time.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jun 30, 2004 09:50 pm

I was actually *on* the Brewer diet from before day one -- my midwife suggested it during a preconception consult. I guess maybe I would have gone to 25 weeks if I *hadn't* been on it, but still a case of severe PE at 34 weeks is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I suspect most of the people who report success with it either a) weren't going to get PE in the first place, or b) are on subsequent pregnancies. Certainly I keep running across commentary along the lines of, "Boy, I was sick my first pregnancy, and then I ate the Brewer diet and I was fine!" -- which simply doesn't account for the fact that PE is much more common in first pregnancies than in subsequent pregnancies by the same father.

Caryn
DS Oscar born 10/20/02 at 34 weeks, rapid-onset severe PE

april

Postby april » Wed Jun 30, 2004 09:21 pm

Does anyone know how well the brewers diet works during preg? Or any experiences with it? I talked to my Dr. about it for my next preg, and she said there is no proof that it works to prevent PE, but if I would like to do it, she would not have any problems with it. As long as my kidneys are normal.

april(24)
dh-billy(29)
dd-Natalie 3/10/04(pasted away after 1 hr.) induced labor at 23wks and 5 days due to severe PE/HELLP

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 08:18 am

i was 60 pounds overweight before each pregnancy. i followed the ada diet during both, and lost weight.
after the first,i went back to my evil ways and quiclky gained 40 pounds plus 20 more.

i am really trying to avoid sugar.
the more i eat the more i crave, then feel sick.

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e

nborrayo

Postby nborrayo » Mon Jun 28, 2004 08:51 pm

Before pg:
I ate a diet very rich in healthy foods(not vegetarian)-lots of whole grains and vegetables, but I must admit the dark chocolate, black licorice and ice-cream that I had on frequent occasions. I was about 10 or 15 lbs overweight when I got pg. I did eat a lot of sushi - tuna - which I now know has a ton of mercury.
During pg:
The first I did not gain anything because of all day nausea. I drank Ensure shakes because I was scared the baby was not getting anything. Only thing I wanted was hen it was bean, cheese and sour-cream burritos, and orange foods - lots of mangos, carrots, sweet potatoes etc...Normally I LOVE all vegetables but did not touch a green vegetable the whole pregnancy. Also I had an aversion to ice-cream and chocolate. If only that would have stayed on after the pregnancy, I would have lost the weight by now!

Nicole B
Mom to Claire Marie
Born 12/12/03 @ 37 weeks due to PIH/HELLP

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:30 am

This is a funny topic, I ate very little while I was pregnant, and was much more cautious than I usually am. I LOVE junk food, but generally have a pretty healthy diet (it resembles the food pyramid that you learn in elementary school, except for the fish), and we cook most of our meals. I had no appetite while pregnant, and my DH was a little bit of a tyrant, no blue cheese/soft cheese/deli meat/caesar salad (dressing made with raw eggs[:(]) etc.. for me. So of course all I wanted to eat was Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing[:p]. I did not get them until the little sprout was born! I would try almost anything, including the dreaded vegetarian diet, if I thought it would keep the dreaded PE at bay. I think I would just OD on pasta and cheese if I did that though...

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks

Return to “Ask the Experienced”