Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Thanks, everyone!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Thanks, everyone!

Postby lories » Mon Jan 19, 2004 02:48 pm

by lories (66 Posts), Mon Jan 19, 2004 02:48 pm

I just wanted to thank all of you for being so helpful and friendly to me last week. It helped me so much to get through what was for me a very stressful time, even if it was only that way because I made it that way!

It appears, as of now, that the BP problems are under control. I have been monitoring my pressure in my left arm (which is what the home monitor says to do) at home, and my BP ranges from 112-123/70-75 when at rest, to maybe 125-130/75-80 with light activity, and 130-140/80 after I've gone up two flights of stairs. According to my doctor, these are all normal, especially given that my baseline BP was 125/80, which isn't particularly low. I am just ignoring what the pressure is in my right arm, because the machine appears to be inaccurate in measuring right arm pressure and it seems as though I might just have higher pressure in my right arm, which is something we can look into after the baby is born, since there's nothing we could do about it now anyway.

My only concern now is my prenatal care for the rest of the pregnancy. I am VERY unhappy with how my nurse practicioner, who does most of my care, handled the situation. I just felt that I was treated very rudely by the staff (who just kept telling me to CALM DOWN because my BP was WAY TOO HIGH!, lol, as if anyone could calm down after that?, and who took NO time to talk to me after they scared me half to death about the health of my baby). My husband was also very unhappy with them the night we went in for the second BP reading, where they reacted exactly the same way. We love the OB though, and all of the nurses at the OB's office, but they are extremely busy and since I'll be seeing him regularly after 32 weeks anyway, we really don't want to bother them with another patient. My husband has decided he wants to take the baby there after he's born (it's a family practice center), and I agree that that is the best choice. But I think that if at my next visit I'm not happy with the nurse practicioner again, we might consider changing my prenatal care to the OB full-time. I just want to make sure that I'm being seen by someone who is both reassuring AND cautious, neither of which I felt my np was, since she scared me half to death then seemed to poo-poo it all off as anxiety (which it probably was, but I would still have liked them to have been a little more cautious).

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know what was going on, and to thank you for being so supportive and informative. Also, if anyone has ever changed their health care provider while pregnant for personal reasons rather than medical ones, I'd love to know how you went about doing it.

Thanks
Lori
lories

Re : Thanks, everyone!

Postby sonja » Mon Jan 19, 2004 02:59 pm

by sonja (5658 Posts), Mon Jan 19, 2004 02:59 pm

I have not changed health care providers, but have read about many women who have and have been very happy about the situation. My opinion is that I want to be with the person who has the most knowledge - not someone who stresses you out. Do what is best for you, let them worry about their schedule. Good luck to you and I am glad that you are feeling better.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : Thanks, everyone!

Postby hutced » Tue Jan 20, 2004 07:08 am

by hutced (263 Posts), Tue Jan 20, 2004 07:08 am

Lori,
I changed my OB at 25 or 28 wks, I cant remember it seems so long ago but my baby is only 3 months old. I am pretty sure it was 25 wks. Anyhow it was scary to change OB so late in my pregnancy and with all the problems I was having. But it was the best decision I have ever made. I dont know that the treatment would have been different or the outcome but I felt like I was taken serious and the new OB was concerned for me and my baby but he was very reassuring about it. I think if you arnt happy with your NP than yes change.

Also, I agree with Joy let the Dr's worry about the scheduling. Like you I never wanted to "bother" the Dr. and my new OB told me that he couldn't read minds, and if I was having problems and high BP reading that he wanted to know about it, unlike my first OB who made me feel like I was bothering her for nothing.

You need to feel safe and if your NP isnt doing it for you then by all means change. Again it was the best decision for me and my son.

Denise
Emily 3-6-02 41 1/2wks, 7lbs15oz
Evan 10-21-03 35wks, 5lbs6oz, PIH/PE (placental abruption)
hutced

Return to Ask the Experienced