has anyone had preeclampsia during delivery?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

has anyone had preeclampsia during delivery?

Postby annayuill » Tue Jan 20, 2004 04:37 pm

If you get preeclampsia during delivery, does this mean it will make my chances of falling pregnant again difficult??[:(]
annayuill

Re : has anyone had preeclampsia during delivery?

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 20, 2004 06:36 pm

I've heard nothing of the sort, though am not a doctor. I would imagine that it doesn't affect fertility much at all. An underlying disorder may affect fertility and might also increase your chances for preeclampsia and you can be tested for those, but I wouldn't worry about fertility that much, personally.

But then, look at me...got pg on the first try for our second baby! lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby catherine » Tue Jan 20, 2004 06:48 pm

Hi welcome to the forum. I believe that someone posted about having difficulty falling pregnant after they experienced HELLP. I don't think that I've ever read anything about it being linked. However, I know that there is a relationship between insulin resistance, PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), diabetes and an increased risk of preeclampsia. Insulin resistance and PCOS can result in infertility (afflicting a close friend of mine right now). It would probably be a good idea to talk to your primary care physican or OB. You can be screened for stuff like this. Secondary infertility (when you've had at least one baby) is hard to deal with because you and everyone else keeps saying .."if you did it once, surely it will happen again". That isn't always true, either because something new has come up, or because you are getting older etc. If you've been trying for a long time I think consulting a doctor might make a lot of sense.

Good luck

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby laura » Tue Jan 20, 2004 08:23 pm

I know what Catherine's talking about, I lived it! I have PCOS and a history of PE, and it took me (I'm so sorry to say!) almost four years of trying before we fell pregnant with our second child- and that's with what they call "well timed intercourse"

Definitely, consulting your doc is a good idea, and another resource is the book "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Wechler (spelling?) that teaches you to recognize when you're most likely to conceive based on your body's signals. I used the software that goes with it, and it helped take a lot of the guessing out of my weird, random cycles. Best of luck to you!

Laura-28
DH Jack-31
Allicia 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby deerhart » Wed Jan 21, 2004 07:40 am

blood clotting disorders can also cause problems staying pregnant (they are mostly linked to multiple miscarriages) so for many woman after PE it would not be suprising to see them having this problem as well.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Return to Ask the Experienced