placental blood flow

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
heather j
Forum Moderator

Re : placental blood flow

Postby heather j » Mon Oct 02, 2006 02:30 pm

AHHHHH! Catherine!!! Baby three?!?! How awesome for you - congratulations!

And thanks to all who responded BTW!

akemt

Postby akemt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 01:19 pm

It is my understanding that the placenta doesn't take over all of its functioning untill after 12 weeks, and I thought, likely after 14 as well...but I don't actually know when and can't back that up! It's just my memory and it can be wrong. You can always ask your doctor about it and let them know you are worried --and willing to pay the $$ and do the testing for some reassurance.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:06 am

Mamajett,

You could have blood flow checked for anything abnormal, however, blood flow problems due to PE will not show until second trimester when the placenta/baby require additional blood flow...this is when PE can kick in. The vasculature in a fated PE pregnancy will not be able to handle the increased capacity, and everything goes downhill from there. My 20 week high level U/S was completely normal. Blood flow was excellent, and baby measured perfectly. At 29 weeks she stopped growing. So somewhere in that time frame things went downhill. I would definitely ask about being checked, but don't be surprised if they tell you it isn't advised until 20 weeks. However, if you have increased BP already, they may very well do an U/S to make sure baby is growing properly, etc. Congrats by the way! I hope this is a long and borin pregnancy for you!

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 02:24 am

Hi Heather,
I really have no idea, but I would be asking your doctor if you can have an early scan and any other tests to help ease your mind.
I know my cousin had a scan fairly early that checked cord blood flow (not PE related) - but I have a feeling the doctor told her that it is not a great indicator until the start of the second trimester..... Don't quote me on that one though... bit sketchy on the details.
But, I would be asking for anything and everything to be checked, scanned and double scanned - it can't hurt.
Take care and good luck.... Love Lucy

heather j
Forum Moderator

placental blood flow

Postby heather j » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:29 pm

Hey, guys. I'm currently approaching the 13th week mark, and my seventh week on Lovenox. I've been taking baby aspirin and prenatals since preconception. I have an appointment Tuesday, and I wanted to get some info here before I go in. I'm on lovenox for a variety of reasons not limited to, but hopefully in favor of, increasing the chances of a good attachment for and blood flow to the placenta. Is there anything I can request at this point (an u/s) to verify that everything is looking as it should in regards to blood flow, etc. or is it too soon in the pregnancy? I know they'll check this at the standard 20 week, but can it be beneficial at this point? TIA everyone.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”