how does this sound to you all?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

how does this sound to you all?

Postby meg » Wed Jan 21, 2004 08:44 am

QUick background that I am posting for my sister. SHe has severe PE and was induced at 29 weeks with her first. Now with her 2nd she started with PIH at 19 weeks. Bloodwork and urine has been perfectly fine so far. WHen it started it was running 140's over 90's. They put her on ALdomet and moderate bedrest and told her to come back in a week. That week is up next Monday so she is in the middle of the week right now. He told her she could try going to work for this week b/c she has a part time job where she only works 1-2 hours a day. Here is how its been going. WHen she can lay down for hours at a time the BP is good like 116-125 over 75-83 but after she has been up for a couple of hours ( going to church or going to work) and checks it then it is up like 140-150 over 95-99. Then when she lays down it goes back down. I know its good that it goes down but since it always seems to go up even with mild/moderate activity do you think the doc is more likely to increase the meds or put her on complete bedrest. Is it bad or harmful for her to continue this pattern where her BP goes up a few hours a day but remains down the rest of the day? Is this pattern of whats going on pretty normal or more worrisom?
Thanks again for all your helpful advise! You guys have really given us more hope :)
meg

Re : how does this sound to you all?

Postby akemt » Wed Jan 21, 2004 03:44 pm

Meg, a few hours CAN be harmful. For my daughter it was...the only way they can really know if it is harmful for her is to keep very close watch of her health as well as the baby's. I would imagine it is quite normal for her BP to be elevated after activity, but her elevations are probably a bit more exaggerated. It is probably what I had while pg with my first. The doctors call it labile blood pressure when your bp jumps around fairly easily. The norm is that hypertension will start this way and eventually (whether quickly or slowly is on an individual basis) sustain it's higher levels. Also, is your sister taking her BP while laying down or does she sit up to take it after resting?

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby jenny » Wed Jan 21, 2004 09:40 pm

About labile blood pressures....I am still new to this and trying to figure it all out (if that is possible).Is it normal for your pressures to be a little higher after normal or mild activity? DOes labile just basically mean a high reading at times, or is that when activity makes it higher? I am just short of 2 weeks post partum and mine seems to climb a little after mild activity, and my heart pounds from something like making the bed. But then I have been on no activity for so long, maybe I am just not used to doing much?

Jenny(30)
Mommy to Zarse,Holly,and Christian
jenny

Postby deerhart » Thu Jan 22, 2004 07:14 am

yes it should rise some after activity which is why you should rest for 5 minutes before taking your BP.
Also heat can cause it to rise so don't take your BP right after getting out of the shower or bath.

My BP while pregnant fluctuated a lot, but it was not the small ones you typically see from activity (which is typically 5-10 points). My fluctuations wherre 15-20 point swings at times.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby jjbeck1 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 08:05 am

Is there a "typical" point increase with activity?
Mine certainly are far more than just 5-10
more like 20 to 30.

Jen 32
DH Bob 36

EDD 5/17/04
jjbeck1

Return to Ask the Experienced