Is this related to Pre eclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
fnaz

Re : Is this related to Pre eclampsia?

Postby fnaz » Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:31 pm

I had pain in both of my achilles tendons..it used to start in the mornring or walking after i remained in a still position for long time(i was on bed rest at that time). Both tendons were tender on deep palpation...it took 3-4 month to disappear. I discussed it with my doctors but they didn't tell me anything satisfying( as they most of the times do)..
I thought may be it was tendonitis..or bursitis..Now after reading your post i think it might be PE related.
I had some belts on in ICU around my legs to prevent DVT ....Did you have such thing put on during /after delivery?

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:50 am

I've a fairly trivial explanation for the morning "slow start". If it happens as "hop out of bed, ouch, scrunch your toes, want to walk in your comfy slippers to the bathroom, but is fine by the time you head into the shower" then I think that it's an exacerbation of a problem that many pregnant women have as they get on into pregnancy. All those hormones that cause your pelvic ligaments to stretch in anticipation of delivery, also work at other sites, including your feet. It's why feet "grow" after pregnancy. Combine with this phenomenon the huge swelling associated with preeclampsia and you've stretched your feet. Over time, it does get gradually better. I had this badly after my preeclampsia baby then it went away... until I got pregnant again. Back came the pain and the toe curling in the later months of pregnancy and in the early post-partum period but it has pretty much gone away now.

Still, if it is worrying you I think you should get it checked out.

PS. Three kids ago I was a 5 and now I'm a 6.5, I still weigh the same though.

misup

Postby misup » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:37 am

Hi Laurens mom....

I had a similar experience. I had severe PE with organ failure.
I do not think mine had anything to do with the PE... but you first would want to make sure that it is not water wt./edema and your Kidneys are functioning well... I can only say what my dr. did.. he had me go to the hospital and have an ultrasound on my legs to rule out any blood clots...

Keep us posted... Mis

melanie12321

Postby melanie12321 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 03:55 am

Hi there , as far as i am aware pe does not affect your legs , but i did have painful thighs and feet after i had my daughter and they were rather weak my doc said its becuase i had 2 weeks of bedrest ,i'm sure somone else will be along with more info soon , welcome to the forums love melanie x

amandawood1978

Postby amandawood1978 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Hmmm...I am not diabetic but I do know that those are common symptoms of diabetes. Have you had your sugar levels checked or your gestational diabetes test yet??

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 07:37 am

Hi,
I'm not really sure and can't help... only suggestion is that if you had bed rest leading up to your delivery and had some muscle wasteage maybe this has something to do with it !! Just a suggestion, I know my legs were really, really weak and took a long time to feel "normal" again.
I read a post here not long ago about PE effecting muscles, but I've had a look and can't remember where I saw it... hopefully someone else might chime in with some more info.
Take care and congratulations on the arrival of your little one.
Love Lucy X

laurensmom

Is this related to Pre eclampsia?

Postby laurensmom » Sat Oct 14, 2006 09:50 pm

Ok I had my little girl 6 wks early due to pre-e she is now 5 months old. I have had a problem with my legs and my feet hurting since I was pregnant. I would have thought by now it would be better but it just isnt. They hurt in the morning sort of feel swollen and it is hard for me to walk for a bit. This happens if I sit still for too long also. When I walk for even a short period of time my feet and legs hurt so bad. I was wondering if this had anything to do with me having pre-e or not. Anyone got any ideas???

Return to “Ask the Experienced”