Post Reply FAQ Members Login

B/P cuffs

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

B/P cuffs

Postby tammy » Fri Jan 23, 2004 02:58 pm

by tammy (214 Posts), Fri Jan 23, 2004 02:58 pm

What has been most peoples experience with these? Automatic vs. manual. Does Automatic usually run higher or lower then manual. Just curios I have a really good automatic, and get great pressure with it, but when I attempt to take it with the manual myself they run a lot higher.
tammy

Re : B/P cuffs

Postby akemt » Fri Jan 23, 2004 03:10 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Fri Jan 23, 2004 03:10 pm

I've been told manual is more accurate.

A few things to check (though I've never owned an automatic bp machine):

You need to be sure your cuffs (manual and automatic) are calibrated correctly. Take them both to your next dr apt and check them both against the ones at the dr's office, or even call and schedule a BP check for this very purpose.

Be sure you have the correct size cuff for your arm.

And, be sure you are taking your BP with your arm in the correct position. We always took mine while I rested it on a table that was a bit above my waist. I beleive the automated machines will tell you what they require. ??? Perhaps someone who knows a bit more will answer.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Return to Ask the Experienced