Question of the Day: PE and infertility

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : Question of the Day: PE and infertility

Postby sonja » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:55 am

Baby #1 we got pregnant the first month and baby #2 we got pregnant the second month of trying - we know how lucky we are!!! At my OB the other day I saw a flyer for the UW doing some sort of survey on moms that have had Pre-e (and those that did not for a control group) to do a a study on insulin resistence, or something of the sort, I guess basically a connection between Pre-e and diabetes. I would have loved to have participated put can not at this time because I am pregnant. I have a friend with PCOS and I know that there is a link between it and diabetes and I know that sugar makes me feel gross (although I can't stay away). When I have something sweet I can really feel my heart pounding. I am sure that there is some sort of link.

Joy

alimarie

Postby alimarie » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:28 am

It took us about three months to conceive with Maddie. I have always had regular periods so I was able to time them and tried on my fertile days. The one month I wasn't even concerned with it is the month we conceived.
Now we are trying again. It has been about two months...going into our third. I am not as uptight about it as I was the first time but I am hoping we get pregnant sooner rather than later. I don't want to get to the point I stress about it. We shall see.

alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)

amyk

Postby amyk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:23 am

Well, my husband and I had been married for over 10 years before we conceived Chloe, and we weren't always careful during that decade. Doctor's theory is that I was running too much, so he had me stop. He also wanted me to gain a little extra weight. When that didn't immediately work, he put me on Clomid, and we got pregnant the third or fourth cycle.
With our second, we got pregnant on the first try, w/o Clomid. (No time for long runs when you're chasing a little monster around, I guess).

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN

mada

Postby mada » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:23 am

#1 miscarriage at 10 weeks...
#2 Sam was concieved 2cnd month of trying.
#3 Know clue!! I was on the pill and my hubby and I were on our first date since Sam was born...had one to many merlots and felt vey frisky, but didn't forget my pill[:p]. Ben arrived the following november...only 16 months apart!!!!
#4 On the pill again!! But miscarraige last july...

So pretty successful but 2 miscarraiges....wonder of there is something there?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

aimeejane

Postby aimeejane » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:49 am

We tried for a year with Nicky, but only because I have such looong cycles (up to 92 days at one point), and it was SO difficult to time it right. With Kalen, we used BBT charting & Clomid to reduce the length of my cycle - we got pregnant on our 3rd or 4th cycle, the first time we used Clomid. I have no fertility-related diagnosis, except for "unexplained cycle irregularity."

Interesting about the link with PCOS. I'll have to let my sister know, as she has it.

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:00 am

#1 mistiming pill accident m/c
#2 (Finn) 8 months but we were like Ileana and DH, in different cities so enjoyed random get-togethers. I conceived him on a job interview w/end.
#3 3 months m/c
#4 1-2 months (pretty much immediately after m/c (Lucy).
#5 Heaven only knows!!! Was on the pill, nursing and working (aka.. sexlife what would that be???).

Overall I would say that conceiving isn't really a problem for us.. hanging on more so.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Mon Jan 26, 2004 09:47 am

I went to the doctor not because we were trying to conceive but because I had been having very irregular periods for about two years. I was diagnosed with PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome, for those of you wondering). The PCOS explained why my periods were WACKY and why I had gained 40 lbs. since getting married. (At least I'd like to blame it on the PCOS...[:D]).

After some testing, it was determined that I was anovulatory (meaning I don't ovulate, or maybe ovulate like once a year but never know when it's going to happen). The doctor said that we would most likely have trouble trying to get pregnant. He said it could take years of trying, and he even told us to start a "nest egg" for in-vitro, just in case. We had planned on waiting until we were done with school to get pregnant, but we decided to start fertility treatments right away, just in case it did take years. So we started with lowest possible dose of Clomid, and a month later I was pregnant. We (and my doctor) were stunned, but thrilled.

I would be VERY interested to learn more about the link between PCOS and PE.

Sara, 23
DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/

ileana

Postby ileana » Mon Jan 26, 2004 08:55 am

I did BBT charting and got pregnant on the first try on the right days... reason for DH to say that he did his part of the job perfectly [;)]... (I only did the BBT because we were working at different locations and could only "meet" during weekends. I'm sure I could get pregnant without any help if we "tried" more often).

However, I do not have PCOS or any other blod clotting disorder (at least that they know of [:p]).

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03

kim

Postby kim » Mon Jan 26, 2004 08:50 am

We had been "playing with fire" for 3 months, but had not timed intercourse. The very first month that we timed it, I got pregnant. In fact, we only had sex one time that month! [:D] Five weeks later, I was puking my guts up and in the hospital... Developed full-blown pre-e at 34 weeks.

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

meg

Postby meg » Mon Jan 26, 2004 08:41 am

I got preg the very first time I ever tried ( in fact, first time I ever had unprotected sex in my whole life) and I got PE at 35 weeks with that pregnancy.
Now my sis tried for over and year and got preg with Chlomid and that pregnancy resulted in PE at 29 weeks.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”