they think i may have pre-e...but

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : they think i may have pre-e...but

Postby deerhart » Wed Jun 12, 637016 8:00 am

Higher then normal BP can cause your capilaries to rupture at the end of your arteries (think of a tube and trying to force something through it but its sorta stuck, the harder you push the more force there is and eventually it may cause tearing or break at the weakest point, in blood vessels its the capillaries.
This is extremely important in pregnancy because the blood vessels that connect to the placenta are not very large and not as strong as bigger blood vessels.

Thus higher BP can cause damage to these vessels which in turn can cause damage to the placenta. Since the placenta is the ONLY source of nutrition and life for your baby, any damage to the placenta can have many effects on the baby include restricting the baby's birth weight.
Personally I am not convinced that damage only occurs after you hit 140/90, I think it can occur at a much earlier BP reading, it just depends on the person.
Treatment is a hard thing to say, because there really isn't much information on what truely works and what doesn't. Its hard to say if BP meds work or not or if bedrest works or not. One thing that can be said is that both have a tendancy to extend the pregnancy, thus giving the baby a while longer in the womb, but I haven't yet found any evidence that they actually prevent damage being done to the placenta or prevent IUGR or low birthweight in babies.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason

amandab

Postby amandab » Tue Jun 11, 637016 4:41 am

Also watch for signs and symptoms of placental abruption. I had an abruption two days after passing the 24 hour urine with a result of 150, and my BP was running 145/95. Call your doctor or go to L&D for any contractions, spotting or pain. Even Braxton-Hicks can be dangerous if your placenta has been damaged by the high BP.

Amanda (28)
Hubby (28)
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03, pre-e and abruption
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04

aimeejane

Postby aimeejane » Tue Jun 11, 637016 4:08 am

Angie,

In my experience, the "typical" reaction to your situation would be to put you on modified bedrest at this point to try to keep your bp down. If it's consistently high, then it would be complete bedrest, lying on your left side as much as possible to keep the bp down.

Like the others suggested, definitely keep an eye out for pitting (pushing your finger into your leg, and the indentation stays), facial swelling, headaches, floating spots in your vision, etc. If you have ANY of these, call your doctor immediately!

Good luck, and please let us know how you're doing!

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)

lunacat

Postby lunacat » Tue Jun 11, 637016 3:37 am

erin & lena --

what do you mean exactly? i know high bp isn't good, but what do they do to treat it? (i should say that mine ranges from 130s-160s on top and 70s to high-90s on bottom. in fact, yesterday at l&d, it was consistently around 110/70 with a couple of high ones thrown in. it's sort of all over the place.)

thanks!
angie

lena

Postby lena » Tue Jun 11, 637016 1:27 am

I totally agree Deerhart. [:)]

Lena

HIGH BP, SEVERE PRE-E, WENT TO TERM 08/1991

HIGH BP, SEVERE PRE-E, WENT TO TERM 11/1998, HEMMORRAGED AT DELIVERY

PREGGO! DD: 04/09/2004

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jun 10, 637016 11:00 pm

I hardley had any protein and my blood tests were always fine, yet my BP was high and it affected both myself and my children.
While Protein IS required for a DIAGNOSIS of PE, it is NOT required for damage to be done to you or your child.

Sometiems I think that is a small tidbit that many doctors forget.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Jun 10, 637016 7:30 pm

I hate to be the one that spooks you Ang, but normal amount of protein is basically none or a really low number. I think that for the moment you are looking at what is called PIH, pregnancy induced hypertension. The minute that you get over 300 with BPs at 140/90 or higher you will get a diagnosis of preeclampsia. The good news is that the blood tests for now are within the normal range. Those are checking to make sure that you are not developing significant kidney damage or are moving towards a really unpleasant varient of preeclampsia called HELLP syndrome.

As it is impossible for either PIH or preeclampsia to resolve without the delivery of your baby you should anticipate being monitored very closely. Some of the other folks will chime in here with what you can expect. I'm sure that you are pretty frustrated with the testing, peeing (so undignified) etc. However, this disease is nothing to mess with. Taking drugs to reduce your BP when you have PIH or preeclampsia doesn't usually improve the outcome or extend the pregnancy. Likely your OB will recommend that you take things very easy or try bedrest to see if it helps keep your BP down. I wouldn't panic, but I would try and prepare for the possibility that your baby will be coming sooner rather than later. OBs very rarely will let someone with PIH go to term.

One last thing, check out the signs and symptoms stuff on the home page. If you were to start having a really severe headache, uncontrolled by Tylenol, severe abdominal pain, visual disturbances etc. those could be a sign that your problem is worsening. Should this happen the best thing to do would be to go immediately to L&D and get yourself checked out.

Lots of luck, and I hope that things stay stable. If you get the bedrest boom dropped on you, check in here and give Ann Marie (currently our most heard from bedrester) some company [;)].

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Jun 10, 637016 7:27 pm

I know that when I developed pre-eclampsia, it was at 37 1/2 weeks - my OB sent me to the hospital - my bp was 150/90 and my test results came back normal as well, my choices were to get induced right then or wait until morning (in the hospital) and see how I was. We chose induction since the baby was "fully cooked" at that time. My OB also said that I "looked" like I had pre-e. I would call my OB and ask what all of this means and what they want you to do. Good luck to you.

Joy

lunacat

Postby lunacat » Mon Jun 10, 637016 4:55 pm

sorry...forgot to add that i'm 33 wks. pg.

lunacat

they think i may have pre-e...but

Postby lunacat » Mon Jun 10, 637016 4:42 pm

my bp was a bit high at a routine dr visit tuesday, and i gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. they did a urine dipstick test, which showed protein in the urine. the doctor sent me to l&d to have pre-e labs done. the blood work came back normal, so they sent me home to do a 24-hour urine. i was supposed to turn that in to the doctor yesterday morning and have my bp rechecked. it was high again (150/90), so they sent me back to l&d to repeat all of the tests. needless to say, i was getting frustrated, having to go twice in one week when the first round of tests were normal...

anyway, the blood work yesterday was also fine, and they said the protein in the 24-hour urine sample was 252, and they worry if it's 300+. so they said i could leave & just talk to my doctor about it at my next appointment.

my questions are:

is 252 still a lot more than a "normal" amount of protein? could it mean that i am developing pre-e? if so, what can be done about it? my bp remains at about the same level, so i'm not really sure what to do.

thanks!
ang

Return to “Ask the Experienced”