BP going up at 15 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : BP going up at 15 weeks

Postby sonja » Sat Jun 22, 637016 3:16 pm

My bp went up at about 16 weeks this pregnancy, and not as high as yours - this is a time when it should be going down!!! My OB said that we would wait until my next appointment and if it was still up that she would send me to the UW hypertensive clinic for some testing. I am now headed there - it is still up - but again not as high as yours. At this point if bp goes up, from what I have gathered it is more likely a case of cronic hypertension, which can lead to pre-e later, and it might be worth medicating at this time. (That is what the heart tests at the UW will tell us). I told my OB that I was concerned that maybe I knew too much about pre-e this time around and she thought that it was a good thing. One thing that she said to me regarding the care of pre-e patients is that you learn to do it through experience and you learn the subtle signals of it - find someone who will listen and whom you trust, with your past experiences they should be taking you VERY seriously. Good luck.

Joy

akemt

Postby akemt » Wed Jun 12, 637016 12:20 am

Yep, I'd have to agree with Mada. While your BP isn't EXACTLY 140/90 it is high for you and close enough if you ask me (but...still not a dr). And, with the BP jump before 20 weeks and it taking over 6 weeks post-partum for you BP to return to normal with your Son's pregnancy, it sure sounds like you might have chronic hypertension.

BTW, I felt a bit like a hypochondriac with my last pg...this time I know I am! lol But, it did take more than one apt to get my diagnosis AFTER I knew something was up and had had high BP readings. So, trust your gut instincts and err on the side of caution.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004

mada

Postby mada » Tue Jun 11, 637016 9:30 pm

First of all, I think your doc was pretty rude telling you it's always something!! Was he the same doc you saw when you had to deliver at 31 weeks? Because if he is how could he not understand your concern?! Ughhh!! A lot of times when your bp starts fluctuating early on, women are diagnosed with chronic hypertension. It becomes "unmasked" with pregnancy. Do you have any other health issues? Sometimes there are underlying factors we don't even know about such as auto immune issues....
I would take bp every day and keep a record of the readings. And if your doc isn't taking you seriously, maybe it's time to go see someone else. You shouldn't have to feel like your being a hypochondriac....your not!! It might be a good idea to consult with a perinatologist(high risk OB) as well. There is a list at www.nasshp.org
I hope this helps you and please let us know how you are doing. I also hope you are feeling better from the flu and virus..you poor thing!!! Hang in there[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

abijoshsmom

BP going up at 15 weeks

Postby abijoshsmom » Tue Jun 11, 637016 9:15 pm

Hi everyone. I have read a lot of good information on these forums and now I have a question of my own. I am now 15 weeks pregnant with my little surprise #3. ( I had infertility probs and had a laparoscopy between my 2 pregs and had to take Clomid many times for the 2 successes, so this was truly a surprise)I had my son by c-section at 31 weeks due to preeclampsia, IUGR, etc. and became very sick afterward, with BP of 200/110, hyperreflexia, blurred vision, etc and was finally discharged from the hospital after 6 days with Aldomet 4x/day and BP was still kind of high. However it finally resolved after about 3 mos and I went off meds. My son spent 5 weeks in the NICU but is doing well. He is now 16 mos old and walking, talking, getting into everything. But to get to the point, today I was having a bad headache all day while working so I had someone take my BP and it was 135/94. When I got home I took it with my automatic cuff and it was 138/98. Now, a few hours later, it has returned to normal, even a little lower than normal.My normal is 120-125/75 since I have been pregnant. One day at the OB office (3 weeks ago), the nurse got a high reading and had me lie on my side, then the OB took it and it was fine, or low, however I was laying on my side at the time I believe. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or has anyone had this experience? I think my dr already thinks I am a hypochondriac or something as they took me off of my asthma med and I had to go in one day to get a referral for the pulmonologist so I could find an alternative med. Then yesterday, after the urging of my husband and coworkers, I went in to be checked because I had started having Braxton Hicks, even though it is only 15 weeks. The dr insinuated that it was ligament pain although I know what Braxton Hicks feel like and had them early in my last pregnancy. But he checked me and everything was good and apparently my BP was OK because the nurse didn't say anything when she took it. The dr. made the comment that it is always something with me when I told him I have had a cold for the past week with a lot of congestion. I have also had the flu and an intestinal virus in the short time that I have been pregnant. Sorry this is so long and thanks in advance for any insight into the BP problem.

Mandy(32) mom of Abigail (2-15-98) and Joshua (9-23-02)born at 31 weeks due to preeclampsia, expecting #3 (7-27-04)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”