Quick Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kdwyer

Re : Quick Questions

Postby kdwyer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 01:29 pm

well insurance is going to be a problem we think. I am going to make an acute care appt next week. I will talk to them about my bp issues. I did call the doctor but I need to get a referral so I am going to try to do that now.

My reading was just great then again I have been in bed all day, it was 114/73 so if i can lay down in bed I can get good readings.

misup

Postby misup » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:33 am

Sounds like if you are still at home, you probably need to by laying on your left side.....this can make a huge difference.. make sure batteries in machine are new and always use the same bp machine (this is what they always told me anyway) Mine was always higher when I was sleeping.. pretty strange... When are you due and are you already on Mag or are you taking Procardia or soemthing for bp while preg?

What did the peri say?

kdwyer

Postby kdwyer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:03 am

Hello ladies, I am getting ready too call the doctor that I have been given the number too. I just took my bp a few min ago and it was 143/92 with a pulse of 106.

Thanks for all the great support, it is soooo nice having someone to talk to who does not think I am crazy :)

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Dec 12, 2006 08:50 am

Thanks Caryn!

Kathy, let us know what the peri says!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 00:48 am

The argument usually is that the systolic is more responsive to temporary stresses, and so a high diastolic points to chronic problems. I think the thinking there has been changing lately, because high diastolic can be protective in hard exercise (or something like that, I don't really remember.)

In hypertensive pregnancies, that isn't usually the problem -- it's more that the "vasoconstrictive cascade" has started. The kidneys and the placenta are trying to force more blood across themselves (the kidneys to improve filtration rate and the placenta to send more blood to grow the baby bigger) and they're dumping a few chemicals into the bloodstream which raise pressure. Chronic hypertensives are starting from a higher baseline and can get scarier numbers quicker.

Either way, 189/128 means IV blood pressure meds are pretty standard treatment in the studies I've seen, to get it to drop to a range where it can be managed with oral medication. But *definitely* merits a check with the L&D people to make sure that it's being properly managed -- let the experts take a look and decide how to handle it. [}:)]

I am SO glad you're going to call or go in, Kathy.

blythe

Postby blythe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:56 pm

Absolutely! bugbugbugbugbug [:)]

Anne (or Caryn, if you're lurking!), could you give a short biology lesson on why the high diastolic is so scary? I just came across something about the systolic being more correlated with stroke, but those diastolic numbers just make me queasy, and I don't even really know why!

stroke and systolic bp in pre-eclampsia:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16456136

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Kathy and I just IM'd and we have found a peri nearby who will see her SO she has promised me ;) to call them tomorrow and to arrange to get in. I also gave her my cell phone, home phone, Steve's phone (just kidding, honey!) and said if her BP went over 105 diastolic to go to the ER or if she had any of the other issues. I said call me and then I said--oh no--call 911! I am optimistic that she is going to get better care than she had been getting but let's say a little prayer and bug her. :)

denise

Postby denise » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:37 pm

Kathy, were you able to go into L&D tonight?

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Dec 10, 2006 05:46 pm

Can you leave them with a neighbor? Your bp is WAY TOO HIGH. I was induced for less BOTH times. Does your bp monitor have a memory thing on it. Mine remembers the last 10 readings. You can take it in to prove that you are telling the truth. Honestly, you need to be on meds. Did you get my email regarding your options? What about the MFM there? Did you try and get in with that dr? we are not trying to scare you but you need to be watched more carefully than they are watching you. Severe htn is classified at 160/110. You are hitting it. If it were me, I would be going up the chain of command until someone did something. I would be rattling all kinds of cages. I also think you need to be on meds. Both times I was put on meds and my pressures were lower than yours. I was put on meds at 140/100 both times.But here is the standard clause, I am not a dr but have been there done that twice now.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Dec 10, 2006 03:13 pm

I understand the kids issue! Glad to hear you've got the baseline labwork done already, though I would push for a copy of your results - but that's just me and I'm a control freak. Sometimes nurses can't tell you your actual numbers and you have to ask the doctors directly. I swear there was a note somewhere in my chart that said "this girl reads the internet, tell her nothing" [:D].

Return to “Ask the Experienced”