High BP in evenings / Anxiety about communication

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
ileana

Re : High BP in evenings / Anxiety about communication

Postby ileana » Wed Jun 21, 637684 2:01 am

[}:)] I've beed in a practice with 15 MFM doctors. 10 of them saw me (during an 8 months pregnancy)... I got to know who will take me seriously and who won't.

In the end, the head MFM called me the day we got home after delivery and thanked me for being so involved in my pregnancy, and I figured I was not paranoid after all.

Don't give up! You are doing the right thing! I'll mail you the spreadsheet later today, I have it at home.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Wed Jun 21, 637684 12:34 am

Caryn, thanks for the links - that one on how to be taken seriously is really awesome! As for the one about that poor woman and what her doctor did - and didn't do! That one scares me to death. I am a strong advocate for *other women* getting the care they need, but when it is my own doctor and my own situation, I can be so bad about "oh, OK, whatever you say doctor". I turn into a "good little girl" and I get so stupid and compliant that its ridiculous. I don't know if I would have had the guts to stand up to that awful doctor like she did. Which is really a sad statement considering she saved her baby's life standing up to him. [Kris, I know what you mean about having a hard time being pushy].

Caryn, how do you do searches to find these "perfect" links? I feel bad making others do research for me, but when I search I get so many threads coming up that I feel overwhelmed.

Ileana, I would love to see your spreadsheet, thank you! Maybe I should keep a log again. These new docs may take them seriously.

In the past we kept logs - at our first OB [we only used for our first birth because the care was so bad], they *told* me to keep logs because my BP kept being high in the office. Then when we brought the logs in, the doctor went next door to her office to answer her phone - leaving the door to the exam room open - and actually said quite loudly into her phone "I can't talk right now. I've got to admit this paranoid first time mom to the hospital because she and her husband are saying her blood pressure is high. He's probably taking it while she's up walking around. *SIGH* " [:(][:(] It gets so hard, because after a while I just start to feel crazy - they tell me to do something, I do it, and then get treated like I'm being a hypochondriac for following their own orders!

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Wed Jun 21, 637684 12:00 am

I think it's definitely a good idea to keep a chart of some kind to show the doctors. Bring them your b/p cuff and let them check so they can see you know what you're doing. The MFM should be more willing to listen to you. And if you have to, be pushy. I'm not very good at that myself (sadly I sometimes let my husband or even my mother be pushy for me), but it's what people always tell me.

ileana

Postby ileana » Tue Jun 20, 637684 11:49 pm

Hi Kelly,

This hapened to me too. I charted my BPs on an Excel spreadsheet and shwed them the graphs with red lines marked for 140/90. They would look at the morning BPs and say: oh those are good, then I showed them the evening ones... Some listen, some don't... the best doctors always listen.

If you would like the spreadsheet I'd be very happy to email it to you.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Jun 20, 637684 9:15 pm

Kelly,

Since you have a MFM appointment coming up, I'm going to hope that none of this will be a problem for you. [:D] This is one of their things -- they really do see this all the time, the bulk of their extra training is in it, it's an incredibly hot research topic and they tend to keep up with the research, etc. I would have the same anxiety in your shoes; your previous providers were more laissez-faire about scary symptoms.

I truly think that the biggest hurdle to good care is just finding someone who's really trained in hypertensive pregnancies. See this link and the thread it links to for an example of the difference in understanding of the problem, http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2797

Have you been keeping a log of your blood pressure readings? You could show it to them so they could see the trend for it to increase over the course of the day, and that might help to show what you're describing.

Another thought: if it's rising over the course of the day you *might* be one of the people who finds partial bedrest to be helpful -- have you tried that at all to see? I am totally going out on a limb here but it seems possible that the people who wake up with it higher in the morning might be having problems with not getting enough oxygen supply to the placenta during sleep, and the ones who wake up with it lower in the morning might be having problems with getting enough supply during activity. Certainly there are people who report that bedrest helped them.

Also, here's a good "how to get your doc to take you seriously" thread:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594

Good luck tomorrow; I hope things go smoothly!

kelly w

High BP in evenings / Anxiety about communication

Postby kelly w » Tue Jun 20, 637684 4:15 pm

I'm feeling really anxious right now. I'm 32 weeks tomorrow, and I've fallen in to a very "familiar" pattern from my other pregnancies of having a moderate BP in the morning [130s/80s] that rises slowly through the day until the evening hours when it seems to be staying mostly in the 150s/95-ish area for right now.

By 6pm I have a throbbing "BP" headache that makes me nauseous and feel jumpy and irritable and just crummy. [I think it is the high BP causing these feelings, not any swelling of the brain or anything that would make me go to L&D immediately]. I've also started with mild swelling of hands and ankles - coming and going, fine in the am but puffy by the pm. I can't wear my rings and by bedtime I'm having trouble closing my hands.

Again, this is very typical of what happened in my other pregnancies, it just got worse and worse [moving from 150s/90s in the evenings to 160s/100s to 170s/110s until finally I was induced].

In my past pregnancies, the OB would see me during the earlier part of the day and my BP would be "borderline" [later in the pregnancy it would be extremely high even by lunch time, but they would lie me down on my left side and retake it and it would go down so they would routinely send me home with BPs in the 160s/100s range sitting up at rest].

Anything I reported was *never* taken seriously, and with my last baby [where problems started much earlier in the pregnancy at 22 weeks], I really feel like its is just a miracle that she and I both survived with the really crummy care we got. My peri was the one that finally demanded I be admitted and my BP the day they put me in the hospital was 190s/110s.

I am also pretty certain I moved into pre-eclampsia with her that got worse post partum because my BP was in the 180s/110s for a couple of weeks postpartum w/ swelling and severe migraines and visual trouble but the OB would not do any blood work or urine checks because I had been "delivered". I had been showing "a little" protein in the urine for the last 6 weeks of pregnancy too, but they never did a 24 hour [only one was done around 25 weeks] or gave any official diagnosis. It was finally my Primary care that put me on meds and got my BPs down around 8 weeks post partum.

This time around I am using a different practice, and so far I have been so happy with them. But now I am finding myself feeling really, really anxious about trying to communicate what is going on. Because of the way I've always been treated in the past [basically like its "all in my head" or something - which is frustrating because I am SO not an anxious type usually], I am feeling anxious that they are not going to take me seriously. It is so difficult because of the vast range of BPs I get - my treatment would vary at my old OB just based on what time of day my appt was because they wouldn't listen to me that it was a fixed pattern where my BP went up through the day every single day. [:(] Since they don't see me at 8pm every appt, it makes it hard to make them understand what is going on in the evenings.

I've been on aldomet this time and it kept my BPs nice and low 100s/60-70s mostly until 2 weeks ago. I am guessing the is the superimposed PIH showing up now - which my midwives thought might happen.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here, and I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just feeling really anxious about trying to get good care and being taken seriously. I have my first maternal-fetal appt tomorrow since my BPs have been on the rise, hopefully it will go well.

Did anyone else have BPs that rose through the day like this? Does anyone have any suggestions on being taken seriously when reporting this kind of crazy thing that isn't "typical"?

Kelly

Return to “Ask the Experienced”