What is considered "stroke level" BP?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
hannahsmom

Re : What is considered "stroke level" BP?

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Dec 19, 2006 09:11 am

Mis -

Gotta love those moms for trying to spare us even more high bp readings :) When my mom wouldn't tell me, I would ask the nurse. There was no hiding anything from me [:)] When I was in the ambulance being transferred to another hospital for the c-section, the paramedic kept checking my heart and my bp. I kept asking him what it was, and he would say...oh, it's nothing you need to worry about. I asked if it was high, and he would not look at me but answered "yep." He was a doll and was trying to keep my mind off the insanity that was about to happen. I was racking my brain last night trying to remember why I was taken off mag before the c-section, and remembered that it was because the mag was building up fluid around my heart, causing pulmonary edema. Hubby and I have been talking about maybe having another, but when I remember these bits and pieces, I think we're crazy for even thinking about number 2 [:p]

misup

Postby misup » Mon Dec 18, 2006 03:43 pm

Suzanne,

Same here on the BP, I need to get my records, but mine was 200 and something over 160 or 180, all I remember was that my mom turned extremely pale and she quickly walked over and turned the computer screen so that I could not see it... mom was thinking that is for sure.. she knew it would make is worse if I saw it... I did have the pul edema and kidney failure.. it took about 2 days (after delivery) for my kidneys to start working again... I was about two hours from going into ICU.. talkin about watching that tube... wheeeewwww!!!.. No C-Sec. though!! All veins collapsed and IV was in Juglar Vein?? Spelling??

I know that professional photo is expensive, did that with my kids at age 6 months.. But.....best money I ever spent.. not an ounce of guilt!!

Mis

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Mon Dec 18, 2006 02:48 pm

Thanks, ladies, for the compliments on Hannah's pictures [:I] We are very proud of her so we saved our money and had some professional shots done. We put one on our Christmas card and will be sending one to the NICU to show them how their little "peanut" turned out.

On the bp issue... I know when I was initially diagnosed with Preeclampsia my bp was 200 and something over 180 I believe, so they put me on mag. (The poor nurse in the ob's office said it was the highest bp she had ever taken - I thought she was going to faint.) From my foggy recolection, I think they had to take me off mag for the c-section and I looked at the bp monitor and it was 200 and something over 200 and something. I need to get those records to find out these kinds of things. But, I already had high bp before pregnancy. It was very well controlled with medication until I hit 26 weeks and all H*** broke loose [:0]

denise

Postby denise » Mon Dec 18, 2006 09:53 am

Amanda, how are you doing? Hope to hear from you soon.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Dec 18, 2006 09:06 am

I think stroke level is different for everyone; if you are usually 90/60, like the Japanese woman mentioned above...stroke level can be lower than someone who normally runs 140/80. In general healthcare, I was always told to worry about stroke if the bottom number went over 100 (or high 90s). I am usually 100/60 and mine went as high as 210/114 and they were very concerned.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Mon Dec 18, 2006 02:15 am

You know Caryn, I had to double-check that one because I first wrote seizures but then I thought--well epileptics have seizures and that is not what they are talking about here--and you may be right! (I am betting you are!) I suspect you own this one but for other P/E geeks with cash to burn this holiday season--ask for Chesley's Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy--a MUST READ! (I have more than one edition, that is what a geek I am!)I particularly like the
Introduction--some very good "PE" humor in there. "Castelli (1682), in his Lexicon Medicum, defined 'eclampsis' as brightness, lightning, effulgence, or shining forth, as in a flashing glance". Apparently the word was also used metaphorically to mean "the shining vital flame of puberty" (who knew?!)--they would mix it in with epilepsy. Later in the book they define eclampsia as "the development of convulsions or coma during pregnancy or postpartum in women with signs of preeclampsia." I may be wrong here. I just here our doctors refer to eclampsia as the actual convulsions.

As for how women die of preeclampsia--yes--liver failure, kidney failure, bleeding from abruption, bleeding from ruptured liver, don't ask me to go on.

I think I am splitting hairs so will stop now. :)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:30 pm

Anne, I thought eclampsia was seizures, not strokes?

Shows what I know. [:)]

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 09:24 pm

nope, can't find a good reference. Help [:)].

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 09:02 pm

Thanks Anne! I was definitely reading PE --> eclampsia --> stroke. So eclampsia = stroke? And out of morbidd curiosity, what are the causes of death from "just" PE? I'm guessing kidney failure, pulmonary edema...? I've got my hands full with both my guys awake at the same time right now, but I'll google, too [:D].

cindync

Postby cindync » Sun Dec 17, 2006 08:59 pm

Oh, and Suzanne, yes Hannah is absoltuely gorgeous!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”