Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
misup

Re : Questions

Postby misup » Tue Jan 02, 2007 04:12 pm

Delisa,

How are things going? Welcome to the forums.. We are here for you and your DIL!

I have the preg. induced carpal tunnel and during labor had the severe lower forearm pain. After searching the books they came back and said it was because the edema literaly had nowhere else to go... wierd huh? I remember them putting rubber gloves filled with ice on my arms and it would melt in only a few minutes... I laugh about it now.. but boy did it hurt!---worse then the labor if you can believe that!

Make sure she writes down ALL (even the minor) symptoms that she is having to tell the doc...has she been referred to a peri yet?

Keep us posted....

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Jan 02, 2007 03:35 pm

Delisa,

Just wanted to check in and see how it went this morning?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Jan 02, 2007 03:04 pm

Welcome to the forums, Delisa. While I'm sorry to hear that your DIL is having a rocky time, I'm pleased to hear that she has such strong family support.

Here's a link to a few discussions on "what to ask your doctor" -- many of them are about PE management and might be helpful:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14035

I don't know much about GD, but both it and PE are caused by the placenta "hijacking" the mom's body to increase the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the baby, which is why the only PE cure is delivery. Some women can control GD with diet and some need insulin.

Also, we have an "Ask the Experts" forum that might be helpful, with replies from top researchers into the disease. I am having trouble with the search function today, but I'll bet someone has asked something about GD and PE before. Here's a link to the questions they are asked most often: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19368

Best wishes to her and to you. Please let us know how today's appointment goes.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Jan 02, 2007 02:57 pm

The arm numbness can actually occur from swelling pressing on the nerves, which is sort of what carpel tunnel is, but not the same (as with Carpel tunnel its the actually tendonds which are swelling and here its everything getting squished by fluid)

Face swelling is always alarming and make sure she informs her doctor of it immeidately.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Tue Jan 02, 2007 01:50 pm

Let us know how she is doing. I was always told that ankle and feet swelling can be normal but face swelling is not; it is probably worth asking about.
Best to you and your DIL.
Julie

delisa

Postby delisa » Tue Jan 02, 2007 01:35 pm

She has an appt in the morning. I have asked if I can go with her so that I can ask questions. She told me that at her previous visits that her B/P's have been ok. She does have some facial swelling, arm numbness (I'm guessing carpal tunnel), she had a ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and they said that that everything looked good, but the baby is "big" (they said that by the ultrasound that he already weighed around 4 1/2 pounds). I know that my DIL has gotten big really fast, so when the Dr. told them this, this has made really concerned. Thank you all for the help, and any continued help. After the appt in the morning, we'll know more hopefully.

julie f

Postby julie f » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Delisa,

Hi and welcome to you, my best wishes are with your daughter-in-law.

Like Erik said, it's important right now for your daughter-in-law to find out a bit more specifically what is going on. If in her shoes, I would want to know - what is my blood pressure, exactly how much protein am I spilling (a 24 hour urine is the true test, dipsticks can be inaccurate depending upon the concentration of the urine.), and how this is all affecting baby - is baby's growth on target, are the fluid levels ok, is baby reactive on a non stress test, etc. As far as the gestational diabetes aspect of it goes, I'm afraid I can't offer much as I have no experience in that area.

If her doctor does determine though that she has preeclampsia, if in her shoes I would ask to immediately be referred to a high-risk OB - even if just for a consult.

Also, here is a link to our Signs & Symptoms: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp Something to keep handy for your daughter-in-law.

When does she see her doc again?

shannons

Postby shannons » Mon Jan 01, 2007 09:28 pm

I too am not a doctor, but have personal experience w/ PE. Some of the things I felt helped me with a sense of control in the situation and also with health were to stay as de-stressed as possible, get fresh air (even if you have to have the heat on and the window open for an hour or so), definitely restrict salt intake as much as possible and get a BP monitor for home (that way you know what your BP is when not stressed at the Doc's office and also in different positions). The good news is that she's already 30 weeks when they're discovering a possible issue. The later something like gestational diabetes or PE have their onset, the better her chances of getting to a better delivery date. Best advice I have is just to keep tabs on it along with your doctor, and just in case for some reason you have to see a different doctor at some point, don't assume they know about it, especially if they don't mention it. They're only human, may miss things and medical charts can be disorganized sometimes too.

And, by the way, good for you, caring so much about your daughter-in-law and grandbaby. I hope that indicates a good relationship with her. Your support will be almost as important to her as her own mother's if your relationship is good. We'll be thinking about her and praying too. I sincerely hope it's not either PE or gestational diabetes.

anathor21

Postby anathor21 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 06:19 pm

The key questions to know in order to know if she has PE is what is her BP and how much protein is in her urine. She should have a 24hr protein test done - get the actual number from the doc on this test. Blood pressure is easy enough to check at home - but also ask what it was at that appointment. The next important thing to know is how well her "PIH labs" came out - this is a battery of pretty standard blood tests to check liver functions etc. These can help to determine how well her liver and kidneys are really functioning. With these bits of info in combination with knowing any other signs/symptoms that she is showing (visual disturbances, swelling of face etc,...) can help assess how mom is doing. Then the question is how is baby doing - tests here are non-stress tests and growth check via ultrasound - is baby growing well and have a good environment to continue growing?

As you can see there is a lot to learn pretty quickly - you may want to ask her about her BP first, find out how it has been running. Depending on your relationship with her, pushing all the other questions may come across as giving her the 3rd degree.. you may want to just get her to this site if you can so that she can fire her questions herself...

best of luck.. hope everything works out well.

mommy1st

Postby mommy1st » Mon Jan 01, 2007 04:45 pm

Delisa,
Welcome to the forums!!
I would ask the dr. if she does have it what will he/she do about it? and if the dr. "thinks" she has gestional diabetes will he be testing her for it? I hope that your daughter in law does not have Pre-E or diabetes. I am sure some more women will post to you what she should ask. Those are the questions I would ask. Best of luck to you and your family!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”