Remedies for Swelling

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
pattie1tom

Re : Remedies for Swelling

Postby pattie1tom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 08:01 pm

I return on Monday and will be setting the schedule for my weekly NST and BPP's. I will also be running my baselines again with the 24 hour and setting my tentative C-section date. Monday will be a long appointment I believe. We'll just wait and see.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Jan 09, 2007 06:22 pm

Pattie,

have you done a 24hr urine test recently? I'd be asking for one if I was getting anything close to a +1. Dipsticks are very unreliable - and with all that water retention going on, I think it would be cautious to do a test to be on the safe side.

pattie1tom

Postby pattie1tom » Tue Jan 09, 2007 06:17 pm

Thanks to everyone.
I have gotten my three hour results back for the GTT and HURRAY!!!! I passed. It is the first official test I have passed this pregnancy. As for the swelling, I spent a very long time in the bath last weekend and spent the remainder of my time on my side. It helped for those two days. Now, as the work week started again, I am again swollen....uggggh!! I am being watched very closely and thus far am spilling only trace to +1 protein and my BP's are within the upper bounds of normal. I am doing well for now. As the rest of us do, we just wait expecting the ball to drop somewhere along the way although praying they don't.
Only 9 weeks to go!

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Tue Jan 09, 2007 02:34 am

There is a good study about the impact of water immersion on swelling--it involved water immersion though in a swimming pool for at least thirty minutes. Caryn, do you know the study? If so--it would be interesting to link to it. In an unrelated, not a doctor, thought, my mom had lymphedema (a painful swelling as the result of having lymph nodes removed due to cancer) and also I worked for a nonprofit called Cancer Lifeline as the Program Director and one of their programs was for lymphedema--they suggest (very mainstream but again, for cancer, not sure how/if/why in pregnancy it would help) lymphatic massage and taught patients how to do it. I don't think it would hurt to look it up online and convince your DH you need your feet rubbed. :) I do agree about calling your doctor about unusual swelling. My friends at the Medical Board joke that they know it's preeclampsia when a woman walks in in Birkenstocks in winter. Obviously, they don't know me.

bethany123

Postby bethany123 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:10 am

I swelled alot the last time (maybe from the PE, maybe not) and have only started to swell once or twice so far in this one. It has gone away. My feet hurt and my legs were much more tired.

I've been drinking a lot more water and decaff black tea. I hate to admit it but I also wear those funny MBT shoes that are supposed to tone your legs while you walk. Yes, I know that sounds up there with very expensive magic beans. I tried them once since they supposedly also aid circulation when I ran out of support hose to wear under pants and my legs and feet felt great. I've been wearing them throughout this pregnancy. I wear the compression hosiery when I need to wear dress shoes.

jen44

Postby jen44 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:41 am

Hey, I was just reading some stuff and saw that acupuncture can help with water retention and swelling in the legs, not sure if that is something you might want to look into or not? I feel for ya, I had horrible swelling too and its so uncomfortable, keep those feet up!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Mon Jan 08, 2007 00:18 am

First, I agree that exteme swelling should be reported to your doctor. Your docotr is the only one who can determine if the swelling is a nusciance or a symptom of a bigger problem.

I had a friend who dealt with severe leg swelling in all 3 pregnancies. The thing that helped her were compression hose. Talk with your doctor to see if this would be OK. Apparently they enourage circualtion, thus decreasing swelling.

Water immersion is also often recomended.

I personally also found that eating and drinking certain things helped. (Watermelon and lemonade helped me with swelling.) Elevating your feet should also help some.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 00:09 am

Water immersion is definitely supposed to help; the idea is that it helps to gently push fluid back into the blood vessels where the kidneys can get at it.

I'm not sure stinging nettle is okay in pregnancy (I can't find anything in particular in Pubmed on it, either), so I'd check with a doc on that one. Herbs are drugs, and if it acts as a uterine stimulant or something it might not be okay in pregnancy. However, it is a known diuretic, so it makes perfect sense that it would help with swelling.

Here's a recent reply from our Experts on swelling:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20261

They say not to worry about it as long as your bp and protein are good. I hope you find something that makes you more comfortable shortly -- I remember the miserable shoe situation.

When will they have the GTT results back?

beckybelle

Postby beckybelle » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:52 pm

I've had a ton of luck with stinging nettle herb. It took care of my swelling almost overnight.

ewipp

Postby ewipp » Sun Jan 07, 2007 08:00 pm

I'm still not sure if this is what helped with my feet swelling problem, but I have been having acupunture (to help with migraines and fertility issues) and when I mentioned it to him he needled a few different points and the swelling went down A LOT!

I don't think I did much else different, which is why I think it was the acupunture. Good luck with finding some relief!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”