Question of the Day: when did your symptoms start?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
preemomof2

Re : Question of the Day: when did your symptoms start?

Postby preemomof2 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:38 pm

With #1: From 5 days after I 'found out I was pregnant' I was puking non stop. This lasted for 3-4 months. After which the swelling started. I was very swollen, everyone asked me if I was 'ok', if I had that 'toxemia'. I said im fine, my ob knows what he's doing. 5 months I was bad swollen. My hands in the morning were swollen stiff I couldnt move them. my ob said i had 'carpel tunnel' of pregnancy. my feet were purple and i put them in buckets of ice every night. I had terrible headaches but i though it was my wisdom teeth. I got 150/90 bp at the grocery store by my ob ignored that saying the machines werent accurate. I as also experiencing severe lower right rib pain, i told my ob he said it was heart burn. (i didnt know bc i never had heart burn before). I stayed up at night crying in pain.

My 34 week vist my by was higher then normal. I didnt go back until 36 weeks. My vision was messed up. I had a black spot that looked like i 'looked at the sun'.( i live in florida and it was the middle of summer). My bp was 166/110 and my protein was +4. I was induced within an hour SEVERE PE. My ob said 'do not stop at go, do not collect 200 dollars, go the hospital'. (it was next door in the same parking lot). That night was bad. but labor was only 9 hours. MY bp was above 188/111, after that they stoped letting me know how high it was. I was semi concious after having my son. And possibly had allergic reations to advil, davacett, percesett, my thorat was closing.

nov_mum

Postby nov_mum » Fri Nov 20, 2009 07:13 pm

I had swelling from around 29 weeks but thought it was normal pregnancy stuff. My hands and wrists used to really ache with swelling and my legs never really went down. I never thought of it as PE stuff though. My BP started playing up at 31 weeks and protein soon followed. I had no idea of what it was to become and in fact I was probably in denial. Even when admitted I felt fine, thought everyone was over reacting and couldn't see what the big deal was. I was admitted at 34 weeks and induced at 35. I never really felt yucky apart from slight headaches and I freaked out when I had 'firework shows' in hospital. While the visual disturbances were pretty, they were scary because I knew that it was bad sign.

qp

Postby qp » Thu Nov 19, 2009 01:53 pm

I was 37 weeks 2 days and was at my regularly scheduled OB appointment. My BP was very high. It has always been, not just normal, but on the low side. My OB actually thought it was a bad read. After my appointment, she took it again herself and it was still high. She sent me for STAT lab work. 4 hours later, I received a call to go straight to the hospital. My liver value was 400 and I was dumping protein in my urine. I had only slight swelling prior to this, no vision problems, no headaches - NO physical symptoms to prompt me to seek medical attention. It was caught only because I was at a regular appointment. I was given Mag for 2 hours and then they started the Pit. Thankfully, my daughter was born alive and well - tiny, but healthy.

katey

Postby katey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:55 am

I was quite swollen all over, gradually increasing from 24 weeks. I got high BP and proteinurea at 36 weeks and was induced at 37 with pre e

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:44 pm

I knew from the get-go something wasn't right, at 3 weeks. I couldn't pee. Pre-e started at 16 weeks, HELLP at 18 weeks. Delivered at 20 weeks.

patty

Postby patty » Fri Sep 01, 2006 00:45 am

My blood pressure usually starts creeping up at 30 to 32 weeks. Other symptoms usually progress from there.

jana m

Postby jana m » Thu Aug 31, 2006 01:52 pm

I was in the hospital on Magnesium for pre-term labor (24 weeks). A few days before I delivered, my legs started to swell pretty significantly. By two days before I delivered, I had pitted edema. Things went downhill from there. I had really bad stomach pain (which was at first attributed to mag-related constipation), and the night before I gave birth I had severe shortness of breath and was put on oxygen. A CAT scan showed fluid in my abdomen, I was spilling off-the-chart protein, my BP was up and my girls were born later that day.

What a nightmare. I really had no warning and I was lucky to have been in the hospital already. Actually, I am lucky to be alive. Unfortunately, my girls weren't so lucky.....

browncow

Postby browncow » Thu Aug 31, 2006 09:23 am

I was sick throughout my pregnancy: lost 12 pounds during the first four months, had two semi-good weeks transitioning into the fifth month, and all went haywire midway through the fifth month.

By 5 and 1/2 months, I had gestational diabetes and symptoms of what I know now to be eclampsia and HELLP: high blood pressure (accompanied by horrible headaches and occasional loss of vision), extreme edema (my feet swelled up like loaves of bread, I wear a size 11 shoe and couldn't even squeeze into a 13. My eyes swelled shut each morning and night, hands swelled so bad that my fingers couldn't bend), loss of sensation in limbs, and upper quadrant chest pains (which often extended down my left arm) that lasted 10-25 minutes per attack.

And weight gain, ridiculous weight gain: 36 pounds in less than three weeks (which I now know was water weight).

I addressed these problems with my doctor, who dismissed me as a "typical first time mom, paranoid that everything's going wrong." [:(!] At six months he finally said, "okay, we'll do a full exam in two weeks if things aren't better."

Two weeks later-rather than having that full exam-I had blood pressure of 270/180, seizures (during which I literally bit my tongue in half), a burst liver, and underwent an emergency c-section to deliver the munchkin (who was in oxygen distress and had immediate surgery for a collapsed lung...which then developed pneumonia and sepsis poisoning).

I received my official diagnosis of HELLP and fullblown eclampsia the day after Connor's birth and was told that technically, I shouldn't have survived the prior month.

And that's why this website is so useful, our stories can alert others, save lives, and educate, educate, educate.

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Thu Aug 31, 2006 08:02 am

I started swelling at 28 weeks mostly in my feet and ankles. At 30 weeks my bp was 140/90, and at 32 weeks I was at work and got nauseous, dizzy, irritable, and hot all at once and a nurse (i work in a hospital) took my bp and it was 185/90. I went immediately to my dr's office and was diagnosed then, put on strict bed rest, was admitted at least once a week with one overnight stay prior to delivering at 37 weeks. The last 3 weeks of my pregnancy I had THE headache that would not go away and severe visual disturbances. They never diagnosed my IUGR until my son was born, in fact I was always told my son would be large because he always measured big for his dates. Also, starting at about 32 weeks I was swollen from my face down. Yuk, I don't like reliving all that.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Aug 30, 2006 08:24 pm

22 weeks. I was in the grocery store with my MIL and my vision got blurry. I thought it was smudges on my glasses. Wiped them off...nothing. I felt dizzy too. We went home and I finally felt better a few hours later. My BP didn't start going up until 24 weeks, in small increments. I didn't know anything about preeclampsia until my BP kept increasing. They did everything in the book wrong with taking my pressures. I didn't even have a urine dip until they were in the high 130's/high 80's. But, of course, I did not connect the visual disturbance to pre-e, even tho it happened a couple of times, and even tho they asked if I had any vision problems. D'Oh. I just didn't connect them!! At 30+ weeks my first 24 hour came back at 1050. I was told to take it easy for the weekend.....and come back on Thursday for an US. Tuesday and Wednesday my face was so swollen I could hardly keep my eyes open. Wed. I had epigastric pain and MW told me to get into the hospital where I had 180/120 BP. Didn't leave for 6 days, 3 days after delivery. So it was a slower onset, but not really detected for what it was, and became severe quickly. I will know for the next time.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”