24 hour urine showed 7000

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Re : 24 hour urine showed 7000

Postby frasiah » Mon Feb 16, 2004 06:32 am

Meg, I cannot even imagine what you and your sister and the rest of the family must be going through. May God's love and peace be with you all the time.

Frasiah
DD sev PE

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sat Feb 14, 2004 06:51 pm

Meg,

Thank you so much for letting us know what is happening, I know that we are all thinking of you so often. I can not imagine what you are all going through right now - I am sending you all my thoughts and prayers. You are a wonderful sister and aunt!

Joy

lisaw

Postby lisaw » Sat Feb 14, 2004 05:17 pm

Meg,
My heart is breaking for you & your family. I just want you to know that I will be praying for your sister & baby Ethan.

Lisa
NJ Coordinator

6/30/01 Madelyn 33 wks severe pe
7/17/03 Gabe 35 wks severe pe

twolfgram

Postby twolfgram » Sat Feb 14, 2004 03:40 pm

Meg,

I'm so sorry this decision has to be made. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - born 10/4/95 at 28 weeks due to HELLP
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02 due to placental abruption
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!

mada

Postby mada » Sat Feb 14, 2004 02:15 pm

Meg,
My heart goes out to you all as well. I will keep praying for your sister and baby Ethan.
Ileana,
I too pray for comfort for you and your husband. I can't imagine how difficult this weekend must be.

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:13 am

Meg,

I am so sorry for what looks like will happen this afternoon. Your sister has put up such a fight and it's just so unfair. My husband and I are continuing to pray for her, Ethan and your family.

Ileana,

My prayers for comfort are with you and your husband this weekend as well.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator

ileana

Postby ileana » Sat Feb 14, 2004 07:54 am

Meg,

I've been starting messages for you for a week now, and never got to feel they are appropriate to send them. I kept telling my husband about your sister and today, one year after I entered the hospital, he wrote our story. This is no advice is just a memory of our thoughts one year ago. Here's our message for your sister.

Our hearts go out to you.

We lost our baby one year ago today with very much the same story. Needless to say, this is a tough weekend for us.

He was 24 weeks and Ileana had severe, early onset PE. We had all the same kinds of messages that you did, notching on the uterine blood flow, restricted growth, etc.

Ileana had very high BP 180/120, 7 grams of protein. When we went in on Valentine’s day, we were told that we would deliver that weekend.

On all the tests, our son was fine, he was just 2 weeks smaller than he should be. Maybe he would grow enough to survive, we hoped.

The event that solidified our decision was my visit to the NICU. I felt like I had walked into a movie set. I saw babies that were so small I couldn’t believe it. I asked their weight. One was 1000 grams, another 1100. And our child was under 500, half that size. Our son’s weight at birth was 420 (including the clip and cord).

They said that (if he lived) for weeks we wouldn’t be able to hold our son at all. He would lie on a table that regulated his temperature. He would be so fragile that any movement would cause bleeding in his brain. And then contact would be limited to 5 minutes a day for months.

I couldn’t imagine putting our son through that kind of existence. A baby should be loved and cared for, not tortured into existence.

The doctors told us of another family that had “thown the dice” at 22 weeks a few weeks earlier. They did all the heroic measures, C-section, and the full NICU treatment. The child lasted 2 weeks before they let her go.

When I visited the NICU, I saw parents sitting there with their children. Some of them had been there for weeks, others months. I can’t say anything against these courageous people, they made the decision to try and I would never say they should not have made that decision. But to me it looked like a horror that I could not put my child through.

Ultimately we chose the best life we could for our child. We induced labor and he died before he was born. He was loved and we made the best choice we could for him.

You have the worst decision of your life to make this weekend. Valentine’s day will suck for the rest of your life.

There is no right answer here. You can either turn your child into a science experiment with very little hope of success, or you can let him go.

I really have no good advice here. The decision is terrible. Do you choose to have a c-section, and risk your health and life further for a tiny chance at life for your son? And probably a life that will be measured in hours, or days or weeks, living in a box, hooked up to tubes and monitors? If he is a miracle and survives, he will probably be severely handicapped in some (or many ways). Or do you choose almost certain death for your child by inducing labor?

If you are at all contemplating “throwing the dice”, make sure that you or your husband visit the NICU. You will need to know the reality of your decision.

I am so sorry to be welcoming you to this club. The membership fee is impossibly high. Not only do you get to face the loss of your child, you have to make a decision that no parent should ever have to make.

One other piece of information I can give you, is that after delivery, you are not out necessarily of the woods. Ileana spent another week in the hospital fighting infections and pulmonary edema. We delivered on Monday morning and Wednesday night her lungs were filling up with fluid. We didn’t get to go home until the next Sunday. Do not insist on going home as long as the doctors think it is prudent for you to remain in the hospital.

Ileana
IT Coordinator

Mother of Angel - stillborn on Feb 17, 2003 (24wGA, 410g)

sam

Postby sam » Sat Feb 14, 2004 06:50 am

My thoughts are with you and your family, and of course little Ethan!! The stress of this is almost intolerable for you all i am sure.
sending hopes,good wishes, and strength to you all.
take care
xxxx sam

sam
PE/severe HELLP @ 27wks
mummy to angel jake

meg

24 hour urine showed 7000

Postby meg » Sat Feb 14, 2004 05:28 am

[:(] The docs are having a big meeting right now to decide what to do but it looks like they will deliver today. Ethan weighs 415 grams[:(][:(]

Return to “Ask the Experienced”