Should I get a second opinion?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
taras mom

Re : Should I get a second opinion?

Postby taras mom » Sun May 06, 2007 03:04 am

I'm so glad you're both ok. Congratulations!

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat May 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Wow. I'm so relieved and happy for you! Thank goodness you trusted your instincts and found someone to listen to you. Congratulations on the birth of baby Nicholas!

lisainnj

Postby lisainnj » Sat May 05, 2007 09:43 pm

I'm so glad you were safely delivered and hope both you and Nicholas do well and are able to go home soon. Congratulations! and hooray for you for doing what needed to be done, and I'm glad you found the support here.

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Sat May 05, 2007 09:06 pm

Brigid-- I am so, so, so glad you got that second opinion. SO GLAD. Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

lbdefelice

Postby lbdefelice » Sat May 05, 2007 08:53 pm

Brigid, Oh my gosh!!!! I am so glad that you did get a second opinion and got the care you needed. Congratulations on the birth of your baby! Hoping his NICU stay is a short one and he comes home very soon. Congrats again.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Sat May 05, 2007 07:17 pm

Brigid!!! Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy you delivered your sweet baby. I am very glad you did get a second opinion and was able to get the attention you needed. I'm sure Nicholas will be home from the NICU soon. Congrats again!!!!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat May 05, 2007 07:07 pm

Brigid -wow! I am so relieved you saw someone else, I'm just sorry it became an emergency situation before you were properly monitored. A 24hr urine count over 300 with those BPs was enough for a pe diagnosis. It's alarming to me that you walked out not knowing you were up to 680.

But congratulations on the arrival of Nicholas - I hope he graduates from NICU very soon and you can relax and enjoy him.

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Sat May 05, 2007 06:57 pm

UPDATE.

First of all, a HUGE thank you to all of you who encouraged me to get a second opinion. Wednesday morning, I saw a doctor at another hospital, at a high risk OB practice. (I was lucky to get in.) He was shocked at my BP (170/110), and the fact that my urine showed 3+ almost immediately. He did an ultrasound and sent me straight over to Labor & Delivery, where about an hour later, after seeing my labs, they admitted me, and started another 24 hour urine.

Now, you may recall that I did one of those last weekend, and my doctor never told me what the results were. Even when I expressed my concerns to him at my appointment on Tuesday, he shooed me out of his office, insisting everything was fine. Well, the new doc called my old hospital for the test results, and told me anything over 500 was preeclampsia. Mine was 678.

So overnight they watched my BP carefully, and the doc came to talk to me the next morning, because my blood work was working its way into HELLP levels, and he said he planned to induce at midnight, after the 24 hour urine came back. I asked what would happen if it came back fine; he said, "Based on everything else, I expect it to come back at 1800, and that's going to prove to me that we've got a rapidly progressing disease."

Sure enough, four hours later, it was 1880, and my BP was spiking to 210/100. He dropped waiting for midnight, and started mag sulfate at 4pm. I'll spare you the torturous delivery, but induction made the baby start to fail, so they did an immediate C-Section. I wasn't able to see him until 20 hours after delivery, because he was rushed to NICU, and I was still on Mag Sulfate. He's having a little trouble with his lungs, but he's improved dramatically over the last 36 hours, so it's been going really well. The docs and nurses here have been wonderful.

The morning after delivery, the doc came to tell me that the placenta did not look good, and it had started to fail. So I'm SO GLAD that I went for the second opinion, and that I got the care that me and the baby needed.

I truly appreciate all the encouragement from this board, because without your support, I might not have had the strength to stand up to everyone and say, LOOK! WE NEED SOME HELP!! Luckily, I did. If not, baby Nicholas might not have made it.

Thank you all so so much. I'm so glad this board is here.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Wed May 02, 2007 08:57 am

Just wanted to say hi to Sherry and I'm very sorry for your loss. What a good story to share to show that you really have to take your care into your own hands and trust your instincts.

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Wed May 02, 2007 03:14 am

quote:Originally posted by Sherry3471

. . . I was the type of person who didn't want to bother people, make them angry or be yelled at.

Again with the yelling! Actually yelling? A doctor yelling at a patient? Anyone with so little self-control and so little respect shouldn't be seeing patients in any capacity.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”