Mirena IUD question (OT)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
heather100

Re : Mirena IUD question (OT)

Postby heather100 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:27 am

Heather-that does stink that you are having so much cramping. Did you OB say anything about why the cramping has lasted for so long? I only had a tiny bit the first two weeks. Guess it couldn't hurt to try the Paragard and see if it helps the cramping.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works!!!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 am

I agree with Jenn. You can try to have the non-hormonal IUD, the Paragard inserted. I had cramping like yopu describe, but only for a month or two, and it was not the least bit fun, so I feel for you after 7.5 months. One other thing you might do,is have the IUD checked. If it is positioned improperly, or is trying to work it's way out, you will get cramping. So you mightget in to the OB/GYN and have them check it out. I have also heard that women have more cramping with the Paragard...but not for everyone. It stinks when there are only a couple of BC options, and the ones you have make you feel crappy.

Let us know what you do.
K

jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby jenndola » Tue Jun 19, 2007 06:52 pm

Heather, you might consider having the Mirena removed and trying the Paragard (copper T). It's an IUD without the hormones. The nausea and sore breasts sound a lot like hormonal side effects, which you can get from the Mirena since it releases progestin.

However, there's no guarantee that your cramping will go away. My personal experience was actually that I had less cramping with the Paragard (I've had both types of IUD), but most women I've talked to haven't had a similar experience.

Good luck! I know how lousy it is to have so few options for birth control, so I hope you find a solution that works for you!

iceelfsong

Postby iceelfsong » Mon Jun 18, 2007 08:01 pm

Hi there girls,

I have had the Mirena IUD for about 7.5 months now. My monthly has tapered off to almost nothing, maybe one day of spotting for like 2 hrs and that's it. But, I don't like the IUD. My cramping is almost constant, not severe like my periods, but like a dull ache all day, everyday.
Right now, my breasts are hurting (have been for 4 weeks) and somewhat swollen. I cramp a lot of my right side. I also get nauseous easily. I just had a pt at the hospital on Thursday night before they sent me for chest x-rays for a bad cough. It was negative. So I'm thinking this IUD is the cause. I want so very badly to take it out, but I know that no other bc works for me. And we aren't ready for a third. Let alone, the fear of pe for the 3rd time.
My doctor said that you can get your cycle back regularly within the first month of taking it out. She said that pregancy can quickly follow. I kind of like the idea, expect I'm not ready yet.
I've tried the pill (I never freaking remember), and the ring (absolutely hated it), allergic to the patch severely (or the adhesive), my sister and mother hemorraged(sp?) from the Depo so the doc nixed that idea, so the IUD was all I had left.
I like it, but I hate it.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:58 am

Wahoo! AF has shown up. Never been happy for that, but glad now so I know what's going on with me.

sjs40

Postby sjs40 » Sun May 06, 2007 07:07 am

I had a Mirena after Ellie was born, and once it was removed for ttc I got my period within a couple of weeks and then back to a regular cycle after that. I think it depends on how regular you were before! I charted temps as suggested above and always knew when I ovulated, then conceived within 8 months (no mean feat with pcos and no meds!!).

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu May 03, 2007 10:51 am

I had a light period after getting th Mirena inserted, but it went to spotting during my cycle for a couple of months, and then no period....but I stopped pumping milk a few weeks after having the Mirena put in. If you're nursing, you may just have a little spotting and nothing more. ;-)

heather100

Postby heather100 » Thu May 03, 2007 09:15 am

Heather: I got my IUD only 2 months post-partum and I was nursing so I hadn't had a period since before I was pregnant. I did spot for a week or two just a little after the IUD was inserted but never an actual period. That's what's gonna be fun. It's been almost 3 years since I had a period.

Maybe I need a refresher course on what to do??!! :)

And, some of my friends suggested I could be pregnant already. So, I tested last night and it was negative which I was glad since I hadn't started my aspirin or my prenatals yet (started today after that) and I drank last weekend. I'm so silly but if I get pregnant, I want to be as healthy as possible.

Thanks ladies, again, for your advice and info!!!!

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Wed May 02, 2007 06:30 pm

I've never done the birth control pill thing, so I'm quite aware of my irregular periods when I'm not on any hormones of any kind and not lactating. Anywhere between 30 and 65 days, though usually between 38 and 45 daysish. At least I consistently ovulate on the 23rd day... which means I could be testing positive pregnant, but still not be "late" for another month. It could be worse though, because I've got a friend who gets AF every 2 weeks or so when she's not on hormones. So... non-hormonal periods come in all shapes and sizes, just like babies do. Hope you get yours soon before you tear your hair out with impatience!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed May 02, 2007 05:22 pm

So, Heather (somewhat off/on topic [:)])...was your period absent from the day you got the IUD placed or was it a gradual tapering off? I'm personally looking quite forward to this aspect of the IUD! Though I guess if I were TTC, I'd be antsy for things to get moving again, too!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”