question about upper right quadrant pain

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
shawncloyd

Re : question about upper right quadrant pain

Postby shawncloyd » Wed May 30, 2007 05:55 pm

I had the same extreme heartburn under the rib cage pain. My OB at the time told me it was just heartburn!! Thank goodness she was sick one day and I got referred to another Dr who happened to be a High Risk OB!!!

Suz7171 - One thing that caught my eye, you said your pain was actually on your left side?? I've been having that for the past week and a half and wsa just blowing it off as her growing. Maybe I'll call the Dr tomorrow!!! Thanks for posting that info!!!

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed May 30, 2007 04:45 pm

Rebecca,

Checking in to see how you're doing?

suz7171

Postby suz7171 » Wed May 30, 2007 07:53 am

Mine was actually on the left. The OB on call said it was radiating to the other side. To me it was constant aching. It felt like I ate way too much food but wouldn't go away. The night I went into L&D, DH and I thought I need to go to the bathroom. After trying that for a while, we contacted the OB on call (at 1 am on a very snowy night...)

Two OBs in the practice blew off the pain.

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue May 29, 2007 08:32 pm

Rebecca,

Here is an old link to a thread where many described their pain: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492 I have to say though that everyone is different and everyone responds differently - it may be excruciating for one and somewhat minor for another, always best to be on the safe side.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue May 29, 2007 04:15 pm

Mine was also like Kara's and Nikki's, but in hindsight I think I had been feeling discomfort in the URQ for a few days prior to when I *knew* something was wrong. Make sure you mention it to the doctor --maybe s/he will want to draw labs again to be safe.

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Tue May 29, 2007 03:59 pm

Mine was also that "double-me-over" heartburn feeling-instead of worrying, I would call and get another set of labs ran-my pain did stick around for about 12 hours, then go away, then came back full force. You are in my thoughts, keep us updated!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue May 29, 2007 03:46 pm

Mine was very painful, right away and felt like serious, double-me-over heartburn underneath my breastbone and radiating through to my shoulder blades. It can also appear as pain in your arm, I've heard. I think a call to the doctor and another set of labs is a good idea. It may certainly be muscle pain or stretched ligaments, but you can let the doctor decide.

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Tue May 29, 2007 03:29 pm

I hate to say this but the pains you are describing sound very familiar. Keep in mind that your labs can be good one day and off the next. Upper right quandrant pain is one of those symptoms you don't take lightly. I suggest putting a call into your doctor before they close today. Good luck and keep us posted!

rebecca

question about upper right quadrant pain

Postby rebecca » Tue May 29, 2007 03:07 pm

For those of you who've had this related to PE, what does it feel like? I have a sort of sharp, but very moderate, pain just under the breast area but a little bit farther out - like to the side of my body. It almost feels muscular or like my ribs are being poked into me because of the baby is squishing it. I had labs run about 5 days ago and they came back normal. If this is "the" right quandrant pain, does it require abnormal labs? I have an appointment in the morning at which I will raise this, but wondering in the meantime.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”