Hospital records question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
julie f

Re : Hospital records question

Postby julie f » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Nicole,

I went to the records department to get my file and had to check separate boxes to get specific things like lab sheets, MRI reports, etc. Did you fill out that paperwork when you went (I think we delivered at the same hospital)? I still have never been able to get all my "notes" though from the nurse file.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Jun 01, 2007 09:13 pm

You have to ASK for all of the reports. I get records of each surgery/procedur, or hospital stay because I could not get my records with Kirsten when I needed them. I always ask for everything generated to include nurses notes, dr notes, lab tests, etc. Otherwise, they just give you the summary. Medical records should have a copy of everything.

mrs.wifey

Postby mrs.wifey » Fri Jun 01, 2007 07:02 pm

I know when I've requested hospital records in the past that the lab usually has separate copies of test results. Maybe you could check with them?

nborrayo

Hospital records question

Postby nborrayo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 03:44 pm

Hello,
I had HELLP syndrome in 2003. In my hospital records, there is only a "summary lab report" and results are listed for different days, but only one result for each section (ie..ALT is from 4 days after my c-section). I know they got results of tests on the day of my surgery because that is the day the doctor diagnosed me, and he mentions the results in the operative report. He says platelets were 47,000, but just says "liver function abnormal." - not giving the numbers. I now want the actual results because I am part of a study on HELLP syndrome, but both the hospital and the Dr only have that summary.
My question is: Isn't the hospital required to keep ALL lab results and not just a summary of my time in the hospital? AND can I get them to look for the results? Maybe they were filed in someone else's file or something?
Thanks for any input.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”