Arrgghh -- how does the L&D nurse take your bp?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bluehairedmary

Re : Arrgghh -- how does the L&D nurse take your bp?

Postby bluehairedmary » Mon Apr 26, 637982 6:38 pm

It may even be time to go to a different L & D department, if possible? After I had delivered Elijah, my bps were still high when I sat up, which I was discouraged to do of course. Then I was discharged without any bp meds. Well, the next day, after finally borrowing my MIL's bp cuff, my bp was up again - 180/120. I called my OB's office and the ER dr on call, and both said to come back in to the hospital. I believe that if my BPs had been taken properly all along (sitting up), I wouldn't have been discharged so early and discharged without meds, when I could have just had a stroke and died at home. Argh.

Stick to your ground and do what you believe is best for you and baby. Tara's mom is right; you shouldn't be yelled at, especially with such a serious risk.

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Sun Mar 21, 637982 3:52 am

quote:Originally posted by Rebecca

She proceeded to yell at me about how the doctors know exactly how they take bp and it was the only accurate way to do it.

I know this is a bit off topic, and I know I've mentioned this before, but this burns me up. Yelling at a patient??? WTH??? Do you mean literally yelling? Gee, there's a good way to keep a patient's bp down.[}:)]

No one gets to yell at me or anyone in my family, especially someone who's being paid to take care of us. Ladies, if this BS is happening at your hospital or clinic, it's time to put a stop to it. If you don't feel well enough, bring someone with you who does. Would you tolerate yelling from a co-worker? Do store clerks get to yell at you? Do you feel vulnerable or intimidated because you're in a gown and they're in white coats? All the more reason for them to mind their manners; otherwise it's what we in the civilized world call kicking someone when she's down.

jenhaus

Postby jenhaus » Tue Mar 09, 637982 2:28 pm

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. My pressures were wacky like that before they delivered me and at my last peri appt I told the peri that I had been in the hospital the week before and my pressures had come down there but at home they were high. Their response was your pressures on the left side and laying down in bed are "fake pressures" and they wouldnt count those. They said sitting up in a chair are accurate and doing it the other way are to make the nurses feel better cause they are "pretty pressures" As a L&D nurse I can totally understand that reasoning...so I say to you...stand your ground and if your nurse isnt listening....request another one...that is your right as a patient...you could always write her up or report her to a supervisor. There is always a house officer on at night that you could talk to...good luck and hope all goes well.

kristi78

Postby kristi78 » Tue Mar 09, 637982 11:35 am

I replied to your message on my thread.. I had the same thing happen to me tonight at home I am horrible I get to the hospital they hook me up and lay me on my side and magically I am 140/80 LOL it drives me crazy and makes me feel like a big butt and waste of time. You don't want anything to be wrong but would just like them to catch it when you do and I am always at home when it happens.
My doctor told me that Labetelol is prone to wareing off very quickly so if you are spaceing your dosages talk to your doctor about if you can take it in littler amounts more often. That is what worked for me so far at least for this week LOL.
Get a good nights rest :-)

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Sun Feb 28, 637982 10:53 am

I know from talking with the one expert on our board who says "it doesn't necessarily matter" that the logic behind taking a BP on a woman while she is lying down is to see if her BP is responding to "bedrest". I am not saying I agree--but it would be obviously a different logic than one used for someone who isn't pregnant. The logic, frankly, escapes me as anyone of us who has been on bedrest can tell you--you just can't be prone 100% of the time--unless you are hooked up to all kinds of equipment (I will spare you the details). Still--sometimes a SAVVY doctor or nurse can be checking the difference between the two to gauge if (in their medical opinion) bedrest is "working". That being said--research on bedrest is pretty divided.

I say go with the print outs and plant them in her hands. It is sad when a patient has to educate their provider but maybe it will benefit the next patient.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Sun Feb 28, 637982 8:57 am

I've had this same issue with literally every single pregnancy.

One thing that was brought to my attention in my last pregnancy was that the nurse was extremely reluctant to take my blood pressure the "right" way because she *knew* it would be over 160/110, which was the number she HAD to call the doctor about per hospital policy. [I had a nurse actually tell me this after I asked her to take it correctly, she threw a fit telling me I was causing her extra work because I "knew it was going to be high"!!!!!] So, that may play in to it a bit, I don't know.

But you are right about how it should be taken, and I think the articles you've been given are great - I would definitely print those guys out and take with me next time!

Kelly

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Sat Feb 27, 637982 6:25 pm

Julie - yes, last night I told the nurse I didn't want to talk to her anymore and I wanted to talk to the doctor directly. All night I asked when he would come down and there was excuse after excuse. Finally when she came in at 1:00 a.m to discharge me, I said I'd like to talk to the dr before I leave. She smirked and said, "he's in surgery, but if you'd like to wait around for him tonight, you're more than welcome."

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Sat Feb 27, 637982 6:15 pm

Thanks for all of your replies and references to the article and other discussions -- those will help me with my next appointment. Besides my experience with PE, my dad has lots of high blood pressure and cardiovascular problems, so I am very familiar with his care and how his doctors have instructed him to take his blood pressure. It's Blood Pressure 101 that you can't have the cuff higher than the heart -- why is this so hard for DOCTORS to accept? Perhaps they don't want to take the pressures lying down the correct way because it means lying on your back, which I know isn't good for pregnant women. I'm a bit worn out from this fight. I don't want to be one of "those" patients and act like a know it all -- I really do think I'm with a great group of doctors and trust their care -- but I just feel like its being blown off. And with the kinds of readings I'm getting, I'm just a tad bit nervous!!!

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Feb 27, 637982 4:39 pm

Rebecca,

Ugh, so frustrating. I'm so glad you're going to bring it up with your doctor. I wouldn't hesitate to print out the link that Blythe provided for reference. Also, if it's possible, next time you're in triage (hopefully not soon right?) I'd ask to speak with the peri or consulting doc myself to make sure they're getting the full story.

Were you able to speak with your doc today about those pressures? Those are high on meds! Hang in there and let us know what your doc says.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Fri Feb 26, 637982 10:48 pm

I have read somewhere on here (and can't currently find it) that if you are on bedrest, sometimes the doctor will be okay with you taking your BP lying down b/c you are lying down most of the time. If it is high even on your left side, then there is a big problem. Obviously, the side reading is not your actual BP, but if you're spending most of your time lying on your side anyway, some doctors will accept that reading. It doesn't excuse the nurse's behaviour, but may be why the peri let it slide.

I, personally, disagree with this method, but have read here that sometimes the doctors are okay with it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this -- I don't want mislead anyone.

In my non medical opinion, PE women should have their BP taken the same way anyone else would (whether they're on bedrest or not) -- sitting up, feet on the floor, arm at heart level.

I would suggest talking with the peri about what his reason/rationale is for allowing the nurse to take it lying down.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”