Asprin linked to pulmonary hypertension?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sreeve

Re : Asprin linked to pulmonary hypertension?

Postby sreeve » Mon Jun 11, 2007 08:20 pm

Most doctors recommend that expectant mothers who are taking low dose aspirin stop taking it a few weeks before delivery. Many stop between 34-36 weeks, from what I remember.

kristi78

Postby kristi78 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 am

I told my doctor about the women on here that are taking asprin and he told me that it hasn't been proven that asprin's benefits outway the negative effects and that he doesn't want me taking it. He said that he is going to wait and read up on some science magazine that comes out all the time that trys to confirm certain things. The thing I don't understand is we aren't supposed to take asprin before a surgury due to bleeding well what about an emergency csection. I am confused.

lynnekay

Postby lynnekay » Mon Jun 11, 2007 09:04 am

Caryn,

Yes, please send this to the experts. I have now read over 8 artciles and all of them have mentioned a link between the mom taking asprin (high levels) during pregnancy. I do not know exactly what they mean when they say high levels of asprin, but it would be great to get some clarification on this potential link...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 01:25 am

Lynne, I've no idea! I'll bump it up to the Experts, if you like?

lynnekay

Asprin linked to pulmonary hypertension?

Postby lynnekay » Sun Jun 10, 2007 05:41 pm

Has anyone heard of a link between pregnant mothers who take asprin (for prevention of pe) and newborns having pulmonary hypertension?

My grandson Drakes neonatal dr. informed us last week that Drake did indeed have pulmonary hypertension (PH) when he was transferred to the Level 3 NICU. The dr's at the other Level 2 NICU did not think he had PH. I began researching pulmonary hypertension in newborns and found many references to mothers who take asprin being at risk for their babies developing PH. The research did say that it was due to high levels of asprin, so that may not apply to the low levels of daily baby asprin that my daughter was told to take. But, it made me sit up straight in my chair and wonder if the asprin Beth took may have contributed to Drakes PH issues. Maternal diabetes is also a precursor to babies developing ph, so who knows it might have been a one-two-punch combo that got to his little lungs.

I would love to hear the experts chime in about any links they know of to asprin and pulmonary hypertension in newborns???

I am happy to report that Beht's pp swelling has almost went away and her vision is finally returning to normal. I am grateful to Anne Garrett and all of the other moms who gave us feedback & support last week when Beth's pp swelling and eye sight got bad. I was aware that she could experience pp swelling, but I had no clue about the vision changes. Thanks for sharing your personal stories, it helped a lot!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”