Strange Question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bluehairedmary

Re : Strange Question

Postby bluehairedmary » Mon Jul 02, 2007 08:12 pm

The same thing happened to me during my last pregnancy. In hindsight, protein in the urine must have signalled a UTI for them instead of early onset of PE. A culture was done, but I never checked on the results. Of course, I didn't have any other symptoms at the time, of PE or a UTI.

So, it may be worth asking about a culture and how much protein was in your urine.

macksmommy

Postby macksmommy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 06:44 pm

I have never heard of the 2 going together. I am a RN, but OB is not my specialty, I work in the ER/Adult ICU and I know when we run urine a lot of the time when a person has a UTI they will also have protein in their urine so I wonder if having a UTI would bring your protein level up any?

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Jul 02, 2007 06:21 pm

If they think its an UTI, they should at the minimum do a culture to rule it in or out. A few times my doc felt I had a UTI or kidney infection and was getting ready to put me on antibiotics until the cultures came back negative.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 05:38 pm

I just posted a study on this in the News section:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23234

From what I can tell, they're thinking that when the immune system ramps up to fight off whatever maternal infection is present, it also begins to interfere with the placenta by elevating maternal inflammation levels. So first infection, then PE, possibly in a placenta predisposed to it. However, it doesn't necessarily implicate UTIs per se, just "maternal infections" whether bacterial or viral.

This is the first time I've personally seen a study like this, but it doesn't really surprise me given some of the stuff we're learning about pregnancy and delivery in general. Anecdotally, I know a number of women who've gone into labor with UTIs...

In any case, it doesn't *matter* why the PE is ramping up, as it still needs to be handled the same. The UTI needs to be managed with antibiotics. Have you got a scrip? Was the test a 24-hour or a dipstick? What are your pressures running, and are you logging them? When's your next appointment?

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Jul 02, 2007 03:58 pm

quote:I mentioned this to the doctor, and he said a lot of times they will "explain away" any protein in your urine by saying you're dehydrated, and that's what's making a higher protein count show up.

I just want to mention that if protein is present on your dips, you should request a 24hr urine (if your doctor doesn't do so). Dips are very inaccurate and can vary based on hydration... hence, you are dehydrated your dip may show that you are spilling more protein that you actually are and if you are well hydrated, your dip may be showing trace when you are spilling more.

meesh

Postby meesh » Mon Jul 02, 2007 03:50 pm

I also was told I had UTI a day or two before I delivered. I've had UTI's before so I know how horrible they feel, but this time I had no symptoms of one which I thought was weird. They gave me antibiotics but I never filled the scrip because I ended up delivering. Either I never had one, or all the antibiotics they pumped me with for my c-section cleared it up because I never became symptomatic.

brigidmary

Postby brigidmary » Mon Jul 02, 2007 03:48 pm

Here are my thoughts, and you can read my original posts for the * I went through to get an accurate PE diagnosis. One of the many times I went to L&D, the midwife diagnosed me with a UTI, and said she didn't think I had PE, because I just wasn't enjoying my pregnancy. When I was induced at a different hospital, by a different doctor, two days later -- with severe PE -- I mentioned this to the doctor, and he said a lot of times they will "explain away" any protein in your urine by saying you're dehydrated, and that's what's making a higher protein count show up. That's crap. If there's protein in your urine, I'd ask for a 24 hour urine test. Are your BPs high? I'm so done with doctors making a slapdash diagnosis. If your protein was a lot higher, I call it a warning sign.

I know I sound angry, and I am. I apologize. But you (and your baby) deserve quality care and a good answer. Let us know how you're doing.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Jul 02, 2007 03:45 pm

There is no relation that I'm aware of, but perhaps our more science savvy chick will pick this one up and reply with somethig a bit more solid. In the meantime, I'll do a little research and see if I can get you some answers.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3089.htm

ETA: I'm going to give you my educated guess, no. What I've read states, "Pregnancy hormones cause changes in the urinary tract which predispose women to infections." Then there are also a couple studies that indicate that the prevalance for UTI are no different for pregnant and non-pregnant women. However, since the bacteria responsible for the infection lies on the exterior of the body, I don't *think* there is much relation.

dustyroadgurl

Strange Question

Postby dustyroadgurl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 03:23 pm

I just found out today that I have a urinary tract infection. When i had my son I had a UTI right before my PE got severe, and after he was born a nurse told me that a lot of women with PE get UTI's, So now here i Sit again with UTI,

I know UTI's are very common in Pregnancy, but has there ever been any relation made to PE, or are there any of you out there who also battled UTI's right before PE got severe?

On a side note, My Protein count was up a lot higher on this last test that found the UTI than it was when I didnt have one.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”