Probably a really dumb question, but ...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alaskamommy

Re : Probably a really dumb question, but ...

Postby alaskamommy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 04:12 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice! I see now that there is a wide range here, so I'll definitely need to clear this up with the doc tomorrow. It sure is heartening to hear that some people were allowed to go off bedrest after a time too!

=D

gwennie

Postby gwennie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 02:59 pm

I was on strict bed rest for 3 weeks (only supposed to be up for 1 hour a day) and modified bed rest for 4 weeks.
When I did have to get up I tried to do a lot in a little time, up for 20 min, and down on my left side for an hour or more after that.
Bed rest is so hard, I can't imagine trying to care for 4 little ones and trying to stay in bed. My thoughts are with you! Good luck!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:36 am

I was on "modified bedrest" and was instructed to lay on my left side for 3-4 hours a day - at one big stretch. I am sure that videos are your friend right now!! Take care.

zoel

Postby zoel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 06:31 am

HI

Sorry you've been put on bed rest. I was put on strict bedrest a few weeks ago - only able to get up for the loo, shower and to eat - It was a tough few weeks.
I'm now on modified bed rest so I'm allowed up and about but have to be resting for between 4-6hrs a day.

Personally if I have to do things with the kids and house (My dh is a sahd but sometimes works if his boss is away) I get it all done in one stint (as long as I'm feeling ok) then I get to relax.

Take it easy, and good luck, Zoe

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue Jul 17, 2007 00:23 am

It really varies between docs. My first pregnancy and first OB, it was serious... don't move unless you have to pee or shower. Second pregnancy and second OB, it was pretty much don't exercise, or the like, but feel free to move around your home just remembering to take it easy.

For this reason, I would discuss it with your doctor.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 pm

Here's one of our Experts explaining what he means by "take it easy":
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18165

It's probably very individual by doc, though, and I've never been on bedrest myself. [:)]

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:22 pm

I always tried to little bursts of stuff and then rest for a good while. Change the stuff from the washer to the dryer, put more stuff in the washer and do the dishes and then lay down for an hour. That kind of stuff. Hope that helps a little.

alaskamommy

Probably a really dumb question, but ...

Postby alaskamommy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:02 pm

OK I've been put on bedrest, but no one has really explained to me how strict that's supposed to be. I have an appointment with my doc Wednesday, but she's not in on Mondays or Tuesdays, so I was wondering if anyone here has some advice (I know we're not docs, of course, just BTDT advice).

Here's the deal. I've got 4 kids at home and DH sometimes works long hours, up early and home late (he's in the military). A lot of the time I have help, but some days I'm on my own, and while the older two can help a lot, there are some things I still need to do. As soon as I'm up, my BP goes up to the 140s-150s/70s-80s, but after laying back down again for 10 or 15 minutes, it goes back down to wonderful numbers - 110-120/60-70.

So this probably sounds really stupid, but is it better to get up, do a few quick things (say, 15 or 20 minutes) and get back down again for an hour or two so BP can go down again and do the rest later, or on the other hand, should I figure that while I'm up I should get everything done that needs doing (an hour or so maybe) and then stay down for good?

Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”