hyperthyroid?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kim

Re : hyperthyroid?

Postby kim » Mon Feb 06, 637989 4:43 am

Boo,

I have just been through thyroid ablation for hyperthyroidism (Grave's Disease). You should definitely have your run the tests that Alanna recommended. I had always been borderline hyperthyroid as well, and after preeclampsia, I went hypothyroid for a while only to have a major thyrotoxic event in February. If your doctor will not run the tests, ask to be referred to an endocrinologist that specializes in thyroid disorders (as some only specialize in diabetes).

Take care,

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Feb 06, 637989 1:23 am

I'm sorry, I didn't scroll down to the bottom of your sig and realize you were expecting.

Based on that, I would see if my doc would run a full thyroid panel (including free T3, free T4, anti-TPO, and anti-Tg) first thing Monday, and hopefully you will have the test results back in time to discuss with your Peri Friday.

You might want to go ahead and set up an appointment with an endocrinologist, since it can take a while to get in. You could mention that you are pregnant and want to get in ASAP, and to call and let you know if they have any cancellations.

Here is an "Ask the Expert" response to a question regarding hyperthyroidism and PE:
[http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... s=,thyroid

catherinesmom

Postby catherinesmom » Sun Feb 05, 637989 11:34 pm

If a full T4, T3, free T4 haven't been run, then they should, in additon to TSH. I think seeing an endocrinologist is a great idea. You need to find out for sure if you are actually hyperthyroid or not b/c treating hyperthyroid is different than just starting someone on thyroid hormone when they're hypothyroid. If a person is really hyperthyroid, then you either do thyroid ablation with radioactive iodine, which you can't do on a pregnant person b/c it destroys the baby's thyroid also, or there is a thyroid blocking medicine you can take, which again, I;m not sure can be taken in pregnancy, b/c it will interfere with the baby's thyroid also. You definitely need to see an endo to get this figured out.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Feb 05, 637989 11:18 pm

If your doc ran only one test it was probably a TSH test. TSH stands for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, and is an indirect measure of thyroid gland function. A high TSH is indicative of hypothyroidism, and a low TSH indicative of hyperthyroidism.

Other thyroid tests including testing the thyroid hormones themselves (T4 and T3), and testing for anti-thyroid antibodies (Anti-TPO and -Tg).

There is some debate over what constitutes a "normal" TSH and when to treat. Thyroid patient advocate Mary Shomon has an article discussing the TSH controversy on her website: http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedan ... bertsh.htm

If I were you I would ask for additional thyroid tests for clues as to what could be going on. A second opinion is probably a good idea too.

In my case, I felt the benefits of thyroid hormone treatment far outweighed the possible risks.

misscoleyp

Postby misscoleyp » Sun Feb 05, 637989 7:26 pm

There has been recent research linking thyroid and autoimmune issues/symtoms to Lyme Disease. If you email me, I will send you the information I have found.

Something to look into if the normal tests keep coming back normal.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Sun Feb 05, 637989 2:57 pm

I'm not sure what labs were run. I know it was just one. He only ran that one because he noticed my throat looked enlarged and when he felt it, he decided to go ahead with the lab for thyroid. I don't know what the levels were but he said they weren't high at all. I'm seeing a perinatologist the 31st and I'm going to see what he says then. I just know I have been having these problems for awhile and if it is a cause for my heart racing (over 100) and pre-e, then I want someone to listen to me. Is there harm in treating hyperthyroid on a low level even if they say it is normal?

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Feb 05, 637989 7:07 am

What I have found out is that different docs have different definitions of what is "normal" thyroid-wise.

Did your doc run a full thyroid panel or just a TSH test? Was it your TSH test results that came back high recently or your thyroid hormone levels (T4/T3)? Did the doc physically manipulate your neck/thyroid gland to check for enlargement?

Thyroid problems run in my family, and my mom, sis and I all feel crappy when our TSH is in the upper end of the lab reference range. Most people without thyroid problems have a TSH between 1 and 2.

lgw

Postby lgw » Sat Feb 04, 637989 4:09 pm

If you find a cure for the eye ticks and insomnia, pls let me know.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sat Feb 04, 637989 10:52 am

Wow...please let me know what you find out! What you have said almost mirrors me and my experience. Keep me updated :)

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri Feb 03, 637989 5:34 pm

I'm not exactly sure what to tell you on this but I'm wondering - did you see an endocrinologist regarding the thyroid issues or a primary care/family doc? If you were never sent to an endocrinologist, it might be worth pursuing to get a specialized pair of eyes looking at this/

Return to “Ask the Experienced”