Discharged from hospital

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bookworm

Re : Discharged from hospital

Postby bookworm » Fri Sep 16, 637994 4:05 pm

I guess I'm very fortunate that the OB kept me for 4.5 days after my first delivery - she realized how sick I was. In retrospect, I think it was still a day too early; I made it to the living room but my bp was so high and I was so weak that we just slept on the couches for the next two days before I felt strong enough to go up the stairs to the bedrooms.

It still blows my mind how the the nurses made me feel lazy and uncooperative, when in fact I was seriously ill and following my doctor's orders.

I can't even imagine being made to wiggle on a rubber mat while hooked up to IVs!!! And I thought that pregnant-lady yoga class was funny [:D]

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Fri Sep 16, 637994 5:33 am

I'm surprised you all stayed so long. I was booted out 24 hours after delivery weighing 10lbs more than when I went in. BP's were normal and had a follow up appt in a week, but 2 days later I couldn't walk and couldn't breath. I stopped by the peri office (on the way to the NICU) and my bp was 190/115. My eyes were almost swollen shut and I had pulmonary edema. I was told that they had seen worse, was given some bp meds and diuretics. They had me lay down until the meds kicked in then sent me on my way. I thought this was totally normal. Almost the same thing has happened after each delivery.

fernie3

Postby fernie3 » Fri Sep 16, 637994 2:47 am

I went home from hospital 24 hours after having my son, still on medication.
the next day when the midwife came to my house to do my blood pressure it was 160/120 and i was sent straight back to the maternity unit to have my medication increased and another blood test. They didnt do anything to bring it down right away as i was told the medication would start to work at home. The midwife visited everyday for a week and then i was at the doctors once a week until my son was 8 weeks.

sophie

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Sep 15, 637994 6:30 pm

You guys are making me look forward to my delivery less and less by the minute LOL. I keep thinking the pregnancy is the awful part but sounds like the delivery might end up being just as bad LOL! I was thinking that I could deliver on the 7th, and be painting my new house by the 10th???? Maybe not LOL.
TUBAL LIGATION I cannot wait! Hurry up little boy and get here so I am never in this boat again! I am so dreading this whole mag thing now............

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Sep 15, 637994 6:24 pm

It was quite the site. All the other women (this was group exercise) were laughing. The American women thought it was the funniest thing ever. Dh laughed. Me, not so much. She didn't leave me alone till the day before I left. I was the only one in the room with ivs in. They do the natural thing over there. No ivs, and especially no epidurals. I got an epidural because it was medically necessary (thank goodness for that doc who determined that!!!).

alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Thu Sep 15, 637994 6:12 pm

quote:The fitness nazi would come by and say weeee. I said NOOOOOOO. (this was in Belgium). After dh gets here? NO. After you get a shower? NO. GO AWAY.

Sabrina you're killing me! Sorry, but the visual of some postpartum woman with IVs in both arms trying to maneuver around a rubber mat has me just cracking up. Poor little Niko is in my arms trying to feed, and his little head is shaking all over the place cuz I'm giggling so hard, LOL. I know it isn't funny - it's horrible. But I can;t help it![:I]

Some of my older nurses were like that after I had the cath removed. However there was one nurse who was really nice (her name was Pam, and I loved her to death), and when I ripped the compression hose off in the middle of the night (I was sweating like crazy from the mag and itching all over) she walked in and said "Uh-oh!" I told her if she tried to make me put the hose back on I'd jump out the window. [}:)] Instead, she had DH help me stand up for a minute and she changed my yucky, sweaty sheets, and even helped me scratch the parts of my legs I couldn't reach. She said she'd be in a ton of trouble if anyone found out she'd let me out of bed, but she said she hated to see anyone so uncomfortable. Of course after a few minutes she made me lie back down and put the hose back on, but it made a huge difference. Early the next morning when the cath was out, the other nurse was all "let's get you up and out of that bed!" Whatever!

You know (and you guys really do know), it's amazing what a small kindness can mean to somebody in that situation.

ludwigsmama

Postby ludwigsmama » Thu Sep 15, 637994 4:11 pm

The same exact thing happened to me. They made me keep the magnesuim sulfate for about a day and then 2 days later I was released. I was induced @ 36 weeks exactly.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Sep 15, 637994 1:08 pm

WOW they MADE me stay in bed both times. Sara was actually taken from me and they had a no visitors rule on me the second night there. I finally went at shift change at 1130pm to go and get her. They had a nurse up there for float. She said I didn't even look like I had just had a baby. I showed her my arm bands and requested Sara. She went to talk to another nurse. That nurse came out and said Ms. XXX have you slept yet?? Of course I lied like a rug and said I had been sleeping all night. In reality, I shut the door to my room, turned off the lights, and watched tv in the dark till shift change. They didn't check on me for several hours because they got swamped with new babies, hence the reason they had float nurses up there. Even when I came home I was on bedrest. Which truly stinks when you were on bedrest before baby and they put you on bedrest afterwards too!!! Like that is going to happen with a new baby. Anyway, Sara was readmitted on Sat morning for severe jaundice. She was born at 1140pm on a Tuesday night. The midwife was there. She wanted to know WHY I wasn't home in bed. Umm hello going to be with my baby! The next morning I tried to call my dr because I had a uterine infection. They transfered me to the same midwife (Not sure why as my dr delivered). Anyway, she said are you going to the hospital to visit that baby. You KNOW you are supposed to be in bed. I said I would go to bed in the hospital bed in Sara's room for parents. We only got Sara every 3 hours anyway. So I was made to be in bed before and after.

When I had Kirsten, once the critical time had passed and they had me off of mag - they kept me non moving for that, they tried to send me to some stupid gym class. I finally agreed to go (so I could get the big free baby box of samples - it was fabulous). They had me lay on the floor on a rubber mat. I had ivs in BOTH arms. You had to turn and roll to each side. Then take your leg and roll that over too and some pelvic tilt exercise. It was crazy. I got all tangled up in the ivs!!! After I got the free box of stuff, I refused to go. The fitness nazi would come by and say weeee. I said NOOOOOOO. (this was in Belgium). After dh gets here? NO. After you get a shower? NO. GO AWAY. Craziest thing I ever did. It was not fun getting tangled up in iv lines. I was like NORMAL PP moms can do this. NOT me and not until these ivs come out.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Thu Sep 15, 637994 12:00 pm

Wow, Amy. That is crazy that they thought you were lazy!!! My post partum nurses were not that bad at all. They actually MADE me take a wheelchair each time to see my daughter in the NICU. And even a couple of times, they said my BP was too high to even go see her (oh, yeah, cause that won't make it go higher). I hated that at the time and cried often that I couldn't see my baby, but I guess they were actually doing what was right.

I think my issue was more my docs than the nurses at the hospital.

bookworm

Postby bookworm » Thu Sep 15, 637994 11:55 am

I will never forget how condescending the nurses were postpartum. I was feeling funky, tightness in the chest and seeing stars, and asked to have my bp checked. They told me I was bringing it on myself by being "anxious" and I should "just relax". This happened to me with both babies. I've only had one nurse with either delivery who understood and was actually nice to me. Her name was Krystal and I still remember her four years later [:)]

It also ticks me off that after DD was born the nurses expected me to be jogging the halls all day. HELLO!? I'd been on mag for 48 hr, had a section, my kidneys were shut down, bp spiking, and my OB had ordered bedrest and no visitors. But they made it clear that I was being "lazy". When we were discharged, I was too weak to walk from L&D to the hospital lobby to go home. We had to actually beg for a wheelchair to get me to the car, and they made it clear that they felt my request was unreasonable.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”