Anemic and pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Anemic and pregnancy

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 14, 637994 5:47 am

Some of the conditions that mimic preeclampsia/HELLP go along with anemia and thrombocytopenia, but allow pregnancy to be continued for a while (with robust medical help, like routine plasma exchange.)

The only thing I recall about anemia and preeclampsia is that iron concentrations tend to drop as blood volume expands, so it might be a good sign, from a PE standpoint, because it'd be an indicator that your blood volume was actually expanding.

I'm glad you've got really good care you trust.

lisainnj

Postby lisainnj » Tue Jun 16, 637992 2:39 am

Anemia is a defieciency of red blood cells or hemoglobin - you will feel weak and tired, but it is fairly common in pregnancy - that's why iron is part of pre-natal tablets.

Platelets are part of blood that helps in clotting, and low levels mean you will bleed longer and bruise more readily.

So, anemia does not mean HELLP. A little to ease your mind.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Mon Jun 15, 637992 11:16 pm

I was anemic with Paige and it's pretty common in pregnancy to get anemic. I've read that up to 80% of women are at least a bit anemic towards the end of pregnancy.

I never thought about the pre-e connection since it's common, but I guess anything is possible!!

alaskamommy

Postby alaskamommy » Mon Jun 15, 637992 9:43 pm

I was anemic too - never was before, to my knowledge. I never suspected a PE link until last week when I was researching postpartum PE, and Googled up some very science-y, pub-med type articles that mentioned anemia as an indicator for docs to watch for possible PE. Sorry, my brain stops working and my eyes glaze over at anything over 5 syllables, so I don't remember exactly what they said or what they were from, but I betcha Caryn knows all about it. =D

mommyboo

Anemic and pregnancy

Postby mommyboo » Sun Jun 14, 637992 12:20 pm

I don't know if this has anything to do with pre-e but my Dr. thinks I may be anemic. I was after I had my dd 2 years ago due to blood loss but after about 6 months of iron (yuck!) they proclaimed me cured :)

Now it's back and next week I'll probably start on extra iron. Does it have anything to do with pre-e or HELLP? I know they watch for dropping platelets which I already have but does being anemic have anything to do with it or is that the same thing?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”