upper right quadrent pain..

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
suz7171

Re : upper right quadrent pain..

Postby suz7171 » Fri Dec 16, 637994 1:52 pm

I rushed myself to the peris office at 23 weeks because of severe pain in the URQ area. I totally freaked out because I just knew that it was my liver. It wasn't. I haven't had any pain in that area in 6 weeks. So don't assume the worst, but definitely get it checked out if you are concerned.

djismith

Postby djismith » Tue Dec 06, 637994 11:32 am

My past experience the pain was barely noticable, I actually thought that it was the baby kicking or resting there. What did I know?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Oct 08, 637994 4:15 pm

Nausea is also a symptom of liver involvement, and one of our Experts has referred to it as an underappreciated symptom IIRC. I threw up two or three times the day I was admitted.

Of course, nausea is also a symptom of pregnancy.

If it comes back, or the pain comes back, please do let them check you out in L&D.

bella189

Postby bella189 » Sat Oct 08, 637994 8:27 am

well the pain and blurred vision are gone today, i feel relativly good at the moment, apart from my violent bout of MS that came out of nowhere this morning.. :( i had nothing to throw up so it hurt, i ended up throwingup mucus, and some blood at the end. blech.

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Sep 28, 637994 9:02 am

Ahh yes, I should have thought about my 2nd pregnancy when responding!

I had the same types of pain, minus the nausea, in my 2nd pregnancy and knew that I would be developing HELLP. Turns out it was inflammation of the cartilage that surrounds the rib cage. It was pretty much on and off throughout the pregnancy - I think the first time I went to the ER for it was at 16 weeks. [:I] (We didn't learn until about 30 weeks I think what the pain actually was.)

bella189

Postby bella189 » Tue Sep 27, 637994 9:18 pm

i think im crazy!! the discomfort is really starting to nag me, and im not sure if my eyes have been blurry today, or if its my contacts? thye arent dry or itchy, which leads me to belive its not my contacts, i guess i should take them out and see? ugg, im so afraid i think im crazy

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Sep 27, 637994 4:18 pm

I never had it, but there are lots of other things that can also cause epigastric pain, so, as you note, go in if it persists and let the real experts take a look at you. [:)]

Julie's said she had epigastric pain at about the same gestational age with her second pregnancy, was convinced it was the start of PE, and it turned out to be some sort of inflamed cartilage. Who knew?

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Sep 27, 637994 4:17 pm

Agreeing that you never know until you get it checked out, and checking it out means a simple lab test.

In my first pregnancy I experienced the URQ pain and it initially had me doubled-over, then it had me hovering the toilet certain I would vomit, and then as the day progressed it subsided into a dull ache. That evening it came back again quite strong and we headed in to be checked out - elevated liver enzymes. It did go away completely that evening though, even though my labs remained off for another week prior to delivery. So my point is - it's different for all of us and the best thing to do it get it checked out. If in your shoes, I really wouldn't wait two more weeks, I'd call to see if you can have some labs run right now. Likely nothing but you'd rather know right?

Let us know how you're doing.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Tue Sep 27, 637994 1:43 pm

My URQ pain was just a nagging ache, I thought it was gas. It ended up I had class I HELLP at that point, you just never know unless you check it out.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Tue Sep 27, 637994 1:00 pm

I had an aching pain for weeks before my 2nd was born. They ran labs, did tests, checked my gallbladder etc. but never found anything. It never got any worse than that though. At 29 weeks they delivered me because of high protein, high pressures and dropping platelets.

With my 5th, I never had the URQ pain. I know with this one, I get a twinging pain in that same place now and then but I'm sure it is just stretching muscles. I'd make sure to mention it to your Dr. Keep an eye on your BP's and if it gets bad, go to L&D just to get checked out.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”